OHRob72

Sickle Bar Belt Replacement

OHRob72

I am slowly working on attaching my 42" sickle bar for the first time, and I want to replace the old belts in the process. How do you get the 59" belt to go above and below the cross bar of the front assembly if both ends of the bar are welded to the vertical plates? I get pulling the pulley shaft to get the belt onto the pulley but not around the cross bar. What am I missing? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2706.JPG

• Confused 1

WHX??

Now that's bizarre Rob ...I know I had to unbolt the whole thing to take it off but those insert bearings needed replacing anyway. Lemme go see if I can dig up some pictures of how mine was.

WHX??

My was the same way...but it does come off ...if I remember  right the bottom plate came off. It was a month ago that I did it and have not got around to reassembly. I do remember thinking to myself this would be a real pain if I wasn't restoring but just wanted to change the belt. I"lll look more when I get it home tonite as I have the shaft ready to go.

20170722_120520.jpg

20170809_182854.jpg

Yup that was it..... the bottom unbolted

Capture.JPG

this was for a 7-1311 but if you have an SMS it should be the same??

• Like 1

Shynon

Bottom plate off, remove shaft,

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Yes  that is it   one side of shaft and bottom plate to replace the  90 degree 59 inch belt!

Edited by Lane Ranger

OHRob72

That makes sense now. Thanks for the input guys. I should have downloaded the manual first.:angry-banghead:

• Haha 1

WHX??

See here if you need to replace those insert bearings Rob

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

WHX12:  Yes I used Bob Maynard's  good information to rebuild my bearings on my 50 inch sickle bar mower .    I used bronze bushings inserted in the repleacement bearings to  rebuilds the 7-1312 Sickle Bar Mower I used on my 1964 Wheel Horse 854.

030.JPG

027.JPG

029.JPG

026.JPG

001.JPG

026.JPG

• Like 2

ztnoo

Great job, Lane!!!

I wouldn't want to have to change that drive belt very often.

Looks like a real PITA to do, especially the thing mounted to the tractor.

Remove bottom plate, remove bolts in bearing flanges, loosen set screws, move pulley shaft enough to install belt, then reassemble everything.

Not much fun on your knees or on your back........

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Not to steal your thread Rob but that is one nice setup Lane, tnat tractor is gorgeous.....pray tell us about how you did that nice  show guard... in my resto I am opting for original as much as possible but I could see that blade protection!

I will eventually need that inboard  wire :thingy:  (I forget what it is called but gimme a week I'll remember) Lowell says he can make me one. And also he had some interesting  info about one that was mounted on the outboard side @wheelhorseman

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Lowell made 12 sets of the Traveling Hook (and two bolt bracket for the tower to ride on)  and the Lift Rod for  Sickle Bar Mowers and I just happened to contact him after he finished doing that to ask about making me one.   I traded him a  1054 front  grill/cowling for the set. 

I spent  last year and early this year working on this 7-1312 Sickle Bar Mower that was given to me and my brother.

I bought all new bolts (mostly stainless steel from Bolt Depot)  in a package based off the parts manual. 

I put new bearings, a new machine pin in the wobble box and several other parts I bought at various swap meets to put it all back together. 

I ordered the spring for the drive belt tensioner today after getting the mower all installed on the 854.   

WHX12:  If you do a search on 7-1312 Sickle Bar Mowers I thinbk there are a couple threads of info on my rebuild.

025.JPG

• Like 2

OHRob72

No worries WHX12. Lane has a beautiful machine. I have drooled over pictures of it a few times. Great job on the sickle bar Lane! Thanks for the link for the bearings. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Nice Lane, so what's the difference between a 1312 and a 1311 ...can't be much? Did you say how you made that blade guard or did I miss it?

Swath bar...I knew I would remember it :) mine was missing but oddly the often lost travel bar was still ther after 50 some years!

Edited by WHX12
Speeling
  • Like 1

MalMac

Yeah Lane, what did you make that Sickle guard out of ? Looks nice, I need something on mine. It's not even mounted on a tractor. I have it up in a loft in the barn and every time I go up there I manage to bump a foot into it. :bitch:

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

Re:  Red Plastic Sickle Bar Mower Guard/Cover

D.J. Harrison  (hcminis on Red Square)  has some for sale  $15,00  plus $10.00 shipping.  They are 48 inches long.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/profile/1864-hcminis/

Very good material and small bungy cords can secure them.   I even put Wheel Horse decals on mine.

7-1311 manual is on Red Square  .    7-1312 parts list also.    I don't think there is much difference between the two 50 inch sickle bar mower models Jim!

Edited by Lane Ranger

hcminis

Thanks Lane....

Yes, I have the guardsas Lane mentioned. 

Contact me direct 

Or send text to 317-491-3106

• Like 1

MalMac

Thanks Lane, my toes appreciate it.

• Like 1