JZilla024

20170520_161723.jpg.4328cf951ada85a9440fb9fe4809f2f5.jpg

Hello everyone!

I recently inherited my grandpa's 

Wheel Horse 753. I remember it running before his health declined about 15 years ago. My intentions are just to get it running and do a mild restoration, it'll stay in the family.

Without further ado, here it is!

Having a hard time with pictures due to no phone service at my shop. I'll be sure to update soon.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

AMC RULES

welcomewagon.gif.8dccb1c4cbc4869fffb85174c881cfc1.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.51ce811ab28059f561cb82a56f68d214.png

• Thanks 1

Ken B

How about some more pictures? If that is the original paint I think I'd leave it alone...

953 nut

:WRS:       It looks like your grandfather took good care of his equipment. :handgestures-thumbupright: Glad you will be keeping it in the family, that makes it special.  :text-coolphotos:

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Another Michigander!

• Thanks 1

JZilla024

20170520_161655.jpg

20170520_161751.jpg

20170520_161920.jpg

21 hours ago, Ken B said:

How about some more pictures? If that is the original paint I think I'd leave it alone...

From the picture with id plate looks like paint overspray. I think the original red can be seen underneath.

20170520_161955.jpg

20170520_161840.jpg

20170520_161734.jpg

• Like 5

JZilla024

Here's what I know. It doesn't run, haha. The carb was disgusting so im cleaning that up and ordered a carb rebuild kit for the k161.

Spark plug sparked and looked clean enough. Spayed some starting fluid in and it made a couple loud bangs but no attempt to run on it's own.

Any advise, suggestions, or questions for me now that i have a few more pictures?

AMC RULES

In addition to the carb, completely clean the fuel delivery system, empty+clean tank, new fuel line & filter too. 

Use no more starting fluid.  :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ken B

Yup, I'd leave that one alone. It looks real nice and has grandpa's finger prints all over it. Maybe a light clean up and a repaint of the rims. Of course, my opinion only.. If you can use it too push snow I think you'd be quite surprised at how strong a pusher it is.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Electro12WH

What is the issue with the original gas tank? 

JZilla024
10 hours ago, Ken B said:

Yup, I'd leave that one alone. It looks real nice and has grandpa's finger prints all over it. Maybe a light clean up and a repaint of the rims. Of course, my opinion only.. If you can use it too push snow I think you'd be quite surprised at how strong a pusher it is.

I forgot to mention theres a blade out back that looks like it hooks to the wheel horse! Living in Michigan it would be super fun to clear snow with!

8 hours ago, Electro12WH said:

What is the issue with the original gas tank? 

I'd assume it leaked. The whole 2 part tank or whatnot. I cleaned the fuel system and have a small inline filter I'll install when I'm putting it back together.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Chris G

I would definitely clean it up and keep her original. Clean all fuel delivery and carb. Check and either clean or replace points. Some fresh oil in the transaxle  and a good oil change on the engine. And also the two piece gasket for the tank is available through a member here. Here's is his email. ( rsgreco@embarqmail.com ) There great quality I just got one and there pretty easy to replace and he sends  instructions with it. Just don't over tighten the bolts is my tip. 

• Thanks 1

JZilla024

Finally got my carb rebuild kit in the mail. Waiting for parts is torture! Heading out to the shop tonight. I'll be sure to update on my progress.

JZilla024

Installed the new gaskets on very clean carb. No luckin getting it started tonight. The spark plug was dry after cranking it. The gravity feed tank setup gramps had must not be working. 

Im havent looked into cleaning or adjusting points. There is a stong blue spark from the plug. Air comes out plug hole and exaust so it must have some compression, right?

The electriclal he did is quite the job too upon further inspection. To the left of the kill button on the consol theres a 3 position pull knob that feels like its for headlights? I dont see in other pictures of 753s.

I really like this old tractor so im just going to keep trouble shooting and fixing things as i can.

Thanks for any input.20170906_171608.jpg.6a2e5f6b0b5264d55a3d921536cc1459.jpg20170906_180236.jpg.252f0eed4d6cdf577a9cd41707b50746.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

Pressurize the tank with fuel in it. The needle my be stuck. I typically put some wd40 on the needle when installing it. You could also give the carb a light tap with a hammer and that may free it up. 

• Like 1