GlenPettit

42" deck: 2 styles ?

GlenPettit

I have four 42" RD decks, but they have two different  trunnion mount levers and in different positions (see photo):

The one I restored (bright red) easily fits and mounts on my 312's, where the 'well used' one kinda fits but just

doesn't work well, unhooks easily and doesn't really adjust -- so it's not made for my tractors, what do I have?

Bright Red that fits/works perfect (model 0542MR04, '88),  'well used' (model 1542RC01, '89).  The tab on the long Gauge Wheel rod

that the trunnion actually fits into is in a 4" different position than the other deck and the leveler assembly is also off center (but if flipped

can work with either deck).  The two tabs are also in different angles and lengths.

Does anyone know why or what they are for?    I haven't been able to find an answer.

IMG_0102.jpg

***  I have two of each style, they appear identical except for the  "trunnion tab" position and size.  I'm considering making new tabs to match the tab on the correct deck and having those welded in the correct position to match my restored correct deck, and also flipping the 'Leveler assembly bracket'.  I think that that is all I need to do to have a perfect match.   Both use the exact same belts.  Any comments or suggestions,  please.

I used the 'wrong' deck while I restored the 'correct deck', actually I had so much of a problem with the wrong-wrong deck, I rushed the restoration (maybe good), right now I'm using a 42" SD deck for the fields which has long very overgrown grass.

Glen

Edited by GlenPettit

hondagod64

Looking at the pics Glen...the well used deck looks like the mounting carriage looks bent to me. I have the same style deck and have no issuses mounting it to my 312 or my 79 c-121..without having it in front of me and mounting it to actually see how it sits under the tractor...good question

• Like 1

doc724

Looking at the pix, it seems that the carriage of the used deck is on backwards. so as you say, flipping it should correct the problem.  Also, hard to tell, but it looks like there are some significant alignment problems.  I would check for cracks in the shell under all the lift attachment points.  Some of the 42 inch decks have two holes for the trunion to attached to the rear wheel assembly.  One works, the other does not.  Cannot tell from your pix which one you have.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Here's a pair of 'straight down-center' pictures, hard to tell when camera is at an angle,

using a straight-edge, everything looks straight and all bolts are tight.     Still wondering

why two different hanger positions.  Lift bar in second/older picture looks slightly curved,

but it's the camera angle again.                                           ( Garry, where art thou? ).

Crack free;   had three 1/8" thick by six inches diameter  'spindle reinforcement plates' welded on both

decks prior to restoring, you can just see them welded on top of both decks, to eliminate cracking there.

Glen

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Edited by GlenPettit

gwest_ca

The levelor support bar is the same for both decks so flip it so they are the same. I think the rear levelor rod will still work. The hook on the rod would face the left and the trunnion would face the right.

Garry

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Like Garry Says the center support bar needs to be turned around.   I have seen so many decks that have an  egg shaped hole for the lift rod to go through from over use.    Someone just turned this center bar around reassembling it.

Glen:    Plus:   I always had my front bar with the U shaped cutout link  (on both of your decks it is on the left side) on the right side of the deck when installing???  

The pictures I posed are of 36 inch decks but should be same as 42  with the lift racks.    Mower decks suppose to be mounted from right side of tractor.

040.JPG

039.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

GlenPettit

Lane:

I think you may have hit on one of my major problems with the 'U' link being on the wrong side, will correct that.

It looks like I will have to make and have new 'trunnion tabs' welded on (I do have a MIG welder, 110, don't know

it that is big enough to do this job . . . any thoughts ?

Garry:

Thank you,  any idea when there are two different positions for the trunnion (left & right of center by 2") for these

42" RD deck models, was the tractor they went on any different ?  Will correct the leveler bars.

Feeling much better on understanding what's happening now.   Thanks again.

Glen

doc724

I concur with the observations by both Lane and Garry.  However, there is still something not right about the supports that hold the center bar to the shell.  One or more of them is bent (someone hit a rock or a tree stump with the deck).  Even though these are 1/4 inch thick steel, they will tear (or rip the shell).  Disassemble the supports and check to see if the right angles are truly 90 degrees.  If not, pound them into the correct alignment. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Don't think it was the model of tractor that determined the leveller bar location but more where the trunnion tab was located on the gauge wheel assembly. Trying to use common parts on the 42" and 48" decks was a challenge. Not only the adjuster changed sides but the weight had to be balanced left and right.

A little earlier there were two slots for the lift. I think they realized they could remove one of them and still keep things balanced. Simply turn the leveller over to keep up with the location of the gauge wheel assembly leveller tab. The gauge wheel assembly would be the most expensive to produce so the fewer the models the better.

Garry

Mower Rotary 42in SD 1986-88 05-42MS05 Levelor 810407 SS.jpg

doc724

I had a deck with the set up as shown in Garry's pix above.  I think WH used that when there was a power blower and counterweight used

• Like 1

Lee1977

I think the reason it was changed is because the lift point on the old deck will wear on the grease fitting. I have a old 75 series 48" deck with metric spindles and I removed the center grease fitting and installed a fine tread set screw. The last time I change bearings I left the seal on both sides of the bearings on the center spindle. The center spindle was impossible to grease with out removing the deck.