Short Circuit

'73 14 auto hydro rebuild question

Short Circuit

Hello WH experts! I am currently inspecting my 1973 Auto trans pump/motor section and notice slight wear on the pump thrust plate that fits inside the swash plate. This is the item that the pistons ride against which varies the pump output based on the angle of the swash plate. I noticed some slight wear or groove on the thrust plate barely visible but I can feel it when I move my fingernail over it. Can this thrust plate be reversed as the other side is very smooth with no wear marks? I tried to sand the plate with 500 grit wet/dry paper and I would have to sand a lot to get the surface smooth. The plate measures .031" thick and I don't know how deep the groove is. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

DSC08603.JPG

daveoman1966

This is HARD material.  A precision machine shop could flat grind the scratches out of it, OR.... just flip it over.  Scuff the flip side with 600 - 800 grit paper just to knock off the glaze, if any.  

Short Circuit

Thanks for the reply daveoman1986. I had a hunch I could reverse it but I wanted some confirmation from someone other than myself. I'll follow your advise and flip it over after touching it up. Many thanks...

Short Circuit
15 hours ago, Short Circuit said:

Thanks for the reply daveoman1986. I had a hunch I could reverse it but I wanted some confirmation from someone other than myself. I'll follow your advise and flip it over after touching it up. Many thanks...

Sorry daveoman1966, I misread your handle...