swisstrac

swisstrac, deck size

swisstrac

can  some one tell me  what the primary choice size mower  is for the 520H?? i am looking  at one and it has only a 42"    seems a  bit small for a 20hp tractor/   thanks  much for your input/Ray

WHX??

My  choice is a 48 but I don't have a great deal to mow. 42 is a bit small considering they can take up to a 60 if you have a large yard but the 42 would make for a nice cut in short order for a medium yard.

• Like 1

Sparky

I suppose it all depends on the size of the lawn to be mowed, the obstacles that need to be mowed around and also what size deck will fit thru your shed door. My shed will only accept a 42" deck for instance so if I owned a 520 it would be spinning a 42"er. 

Mike....

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
10 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I suppose it all depends on the size of the lawn to be mowed, the obstacles that need to be mowed around and also what size deck will fit thru your shed door. My shed will only accept a 42" deck for instance so if I owned a 520 it would be spinning a 42"er. 

Mike....

In addition to shed doors - gates in fences tend to limit your size as well...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

60 that could come with them are extremely heavy. And the weight along with the additional torque on the frame can cause issues.

But they provide a nice cut I'm told.

IMO the 48" deck is the best overall compromise for speed and flexibility. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Some correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't a 48 the dealer recommended deck?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Most around my area seem to be 520s with 48" decks even the 523Dxi I got last year had a 48" deck hung under it vs the big 60" but with the 42" I doubt it runs out of power in tall grass, Jeff.

gwest_ca

I believe the rear wheels on the 42" deck interfere with the rear wheels/tires used on the 520.

Garry

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

I believe the rear wheels on the 42" deck interfere with the rear wheels/tires used on the 520.

Garry

IDK, here's 1 with the 42" RD, maybe the SD is different, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170814-075744.png

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Yes they did list a 42" SD deck. Probably not recommended because you don't need 20hp to run one.

Garry

6 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Chevydave

Looks like the deck height adjustment wheels might be further apart on the rear discharge deck, 520 wheels on the rear of my 416-8 with a 42SD didn't work.

cleat

42" SD deck will only fit the early maroon 520's with the smaller tires.

Later 520's and 520HC with the larger tires hit the deck wheels. I know for a fact because I tried.

Cleat

608KEB
6 hours ago, cleat said:

42" SD deck will only fit the early maroon 520's with the smaller tires.

Later 520's and 520HC with the larger tires hit the deck wheels. I know for a fact because I tried.

Cleat

Correct Cleat. I use a 42" SD on my 95 520H with stock rear tires. I had to move the bracket for the mower deck wheels  out about 2 1/2"

Edited by 608KEB