fivepointer

No Idea What I'm Doing!

fivepointer

Recently purchased our first home! We recently purchased a new mower, and the house came with the following Wheel Horse and other equipment (i.e. cart, roto tiller, and snow plow). My father in law is offering me $1,200 for everything and he said that's a good offer, but my neighbor just asked me about it, is interested in purchasing, and says that's a low ball. Everything works awesome, with the exception of a flat tire. 

Is my father in law trying to take me to town? Any idea on what I should be looking for? I've included a picture of how much it's been used.

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

James

wheelhorse.PNG

IMG_20170813_163343579.jpg

IMG_20170813_162753325.jpg

IMG_20170813_162741334.jpg

IMG_20170813_162621868.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

953 nut
3 minutes ago, fivepointer said:

Is my father in law trying to take me to town?

:WRS:         In my opinion blood is always thicker than water and you would be on thin ice selling it to anyone other than your FIL! That being said I think he is offering you a very reasonable amount of money for it also.

• Like 8

Tractor boy

:WRS: and if it were me, i would sell your new mower and keep the :wh:!  if you want to sell it though it depends on condition. Fix that flat tire! these tractors are great for any task, whether it be mowing, tilling or plowing snow!

- tractor boy

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Al C.

I agree with your neighbor.  I'd take it for $1,200 and think I got a steal.  But, you may be treading on thin ice since the original offer is "in the family".  You might be better off selling to your father-in-law and have him walk away thinking he owes you something in the future for giving him such a great deal.  

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

dcrage

Geez that is a very good tractor and attachments you are parting with. Only 380 hrs on the tractor. Mine from the same era are at 900-1000 hrs and still going strong. I know the attraction of new is very strong, but unless you bought a high end JD or Simplicity prepare yourself for buying another tractor while your FIL just keeps on rolling with the 314 hydro. 

• Like 5

fivepointer

Thanks to everyone who has responded. 

I guess I should clarify two things: 1) there won't be any "bad blood" with the father in law if I don't go his way, so no worries on that front. 2) i'm probably going to end up parting with my OTHER tractor as well. Forgot to mention that the yard is very small, we have a snowblower, and just seems like too much for us. 

So... no urgency to sell or anything. Just wanted to be ready to wait it out for a better offer if it was worth considerably more. Just had no idea what that might be. :/

fivepointer

Lol @953 nut

He's married in, so I don't feel quite the same pressure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tractor boy

Is you father in-law a collector? or does he have a lot of land? Maybe in stead of selling it he'll let you keep it at his place in exchange for cutting the grass. then you both can use it!

• Like 1

fivepointer

Forgot to mention it's a 314 hydro (in case that matters).

Searcher60

With the low hours , tell him $1500. All he can say is no.

• Like 1

fivepointer

Or maybe I could go his way for the mower and try to sell the other items separately?

Any idea on their values?

Jerry77
1 hour ago, fivepointer said:

Any idea on what I should be looking for

If you lived near me I would give 1500 to 1600 for the lot - maybe more - :)

WVHillbilly520H

Just my opinion, it's a 50th anniversary edition low hour Kohler powered hydro $1200, with a tiller $400 , snow plow $200 and cart $100+/- , but hey where I live they seem to go a little higher price wise, I bought my Anniversary 520H brand new in 1998 with mower deck only, was $6300 new, if you aren't going to garden and happy with your snowblower, and not going to use let someone else that would keep it going, Jeff.

BaySide1

I see these tillers selling for $325 ea. all the time

same goes for the plow $200 - $350 all the time

that trailer has to go for an easy $200+

I would be looking for about $1700 for the package myself

Ed Kennell

A 377 hour 314 with the Eaton 1100 tranny and hydraulic lift.    $8-900

A good 42" deck $300

A 48" plow     $150

A tiller            $300

Wheel weights  $100

Two link chains   $50

Lawn cart    $150

What is the neighbor offering?   I would not create friction with FIL for a couple of bucks, but IMO that package in my area is worth  $16-1800.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

If it were me 1200 for package with condition that should your needs change you can buy it no questions asked for same and you have first option to buy should he sell.

Thats a really nice rig with low hours. In two years he is unlikely to put 100 hours additional on it.

Edited by Aldon
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966

IMHO...  you'd soon regret selling it to anyone.  Once you've used the tractor a little you WILL become addicted.   Keep it...sell the other one.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ken B

In my opinion your father in laws offer isn't too far off. Personally speaking I don't think your neighbor should have gotten involved and said your father in law is low balling you. That only creates family friction. Much has to do with how you and your father in law get along.....

• Excellent 4

Jim Demery
13 hours ago, fivepointer said:

Recently purchased our first home! We recently purchased a new mower, and the house came with the following Wheel Horse and other equipment (i.e. cart, roto tiller, and snow plow). My father in law is offering me $1,200 for everything and he said that's a good offer, but my neighbor just asked me about it, is interested in purchasing, and says that's a low ball. Everything works awesome, with the exception of a flat tire. 

Is my father in law trying to take me to town? Any idea on what I should be looking for? I've included a picture of how much it's been used.

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

James

wheelhorse.PNG

IMG_20170813_163343579.jpg

IMG_20170813_162753325.jpg

IMG_20170813_162741334.jpg

IMG_20170813_162621868.jpg

The tractor alone is worth more than that! And that's with me not knowing what model it is. A fair offer for all the stuff I see is around $2500 !

lynnmor

:no:  You will never find another one like this.  If it were mine, I would give it up when they pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands.

• Like 2

clueless
14 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

A good 42" deck $300

A 48" plow     $150

A tiller            $300

Wheel weights  $100

Two link chains   $50

Lawn cart    $150

What is the neighbor offering?   I would not create friction with FIL for a couple of bucks, but IMO that package in my area is worth  $16-1800.

Once again Ed and Richard, nailed it. How much is said neighbor offering, if it's not going to piss the FIL, off go for it. If it is and you don't have a problem with it, go for it. There is a brand new tractor just like that one in the classified section, no attachments, guy wants $ 2300.00, if it wasn't a 2500 mile round trip for me it would be in my shop.

dlaw90

I paid $1200 for a 314-8 with a 42" RD mower, plow, chains, and plastic rear wheel weights in Exeter, NH. The tractor had about 320 hours. I felt like that was a fair deal at the time. Definitely not a steal.

I would think yours is worth more if it is in good shape, but there are a lot of cheap wheel horses on craigslist in the Burlington VT area.

CasualObserver
17 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

A good 42" deck $300

A 48" plow     $150

A tiller            $300

Wheel weights  $100

Two link chains   $50

Lawn cart    $150

I'll agree with Ed on the pieced out prices... and maybe an initial asking price of $1600-1800..but really... $1200 is not outside the realm as a final price. You're just taking the shortcut there. I don't think your FIL is trying to "take you to town" as you put it. At the end of the day, regardless of  hours, you're talking about a 20 year old machine that you don't know the maintenance and care history of... it just "came with the house."  Only you can answer the question of whether you want to sell it to the FIL or the neighbor. 

• Like 1

TDF5G

I'd keep it and use it.  If you maintain it, it will outlast anything else you own.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2