Sign in to follow this  
Tractor boy

Preferred snow plow blade edge?

Tractor boy

I need a new cutting edge for my plow, so i was wonder what type would work for my millings drive way? Also what is the difference between rubber and steel? And any tips for getting the old one off? The edge is so worn down that it started wearing on the moldboard and has started to wear the edge bolts down.

- Tractorboy

ohiofarmer

Could you flip the edge upside down? I have one just about worn out that I really will not use much, but i am considering doing just that.  You may have to weld some tabs on the worn edge to get it to stabilize against the blade body

Tractor boy

No the edge is completly shot and the holes might be too.

WVHillbilly520H

With the asphalt millings I would suggest using a steel edge again (my dad and myself have used car/truck leaf springs welded to the original edge last pic rear grader blade) but also investing in a set of skid shoes(not that hard to make as I have made some the raw metal in the pics vs the black T/WH which can still be bought from Toro) so yo can keep that cutting edge up 1/4"-1/2" above the millings surface when level ,reducing edge wear and surface media removal, Jeff.

IMAG2547.jpg

IMAG2548.jpg

IMAG2680.jpg

IMAG2679.jpg

IMAG3280.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

There's a couple folks selling 1055HC in 42" on the popular auction site - no holes but the stuff can be drilled with cobalt bits . For the price , it should last the life of the blade unless you're constantly using it on concrete . I replaced the edge on the big D's 56" with the stuff in 1/2" thick - it comes pre-beveled nicely and will cut nearly anything it hits easily .

Sarge

Tractor boy

I think ill probably just use some flat stock with new holes. (i have some laying around) also any light sugesstions for my homemade weight bar? 

96WS6TA

my drive has a few cracks so I got an old tire cut to length drilled holes and mounted as a blade  works awesome

• Like 1