Cape Codder

310-8 preferred speed for lawn cutting

Cape Codder

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a 1990 Toro Wheel Horse 310-8. Great condition with 37" side discharge and bagger. The machine has just been gone through and is running great.  The question I have is that 2nd speed in high gear is a little slow for mowing and 3rd is rather fast. I could throttle 3rd down but the machine when cutting is recommended at full throttle for a good cut. Any help on this.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That is one of those things we all deal with.  Not too much you can do...make sure you have sharp blades and/or cut the grass more often.  Don't let it get so long that you need 2nd gear.  If you don't have one, put on a cup holder and enjoy the ride.  :occasion-xmas:

Welcome to Red Square!!!  :text-welcomeconfetti::rs:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

Do not throttle down to use 3rd.  The blades need to spin at designed RPM to achieve the lift for a proper cut.

You could possibly switch to a smaller transmission input pulley to increase the ground speed.   You may be able to decrease the dia. slightly 1/2" max , and not affect the clutch and belt function.   Any more than 1/2" dia decrease will require a shorter belt and would probably cause problems getting the belt to stop for smooth gear changing.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

:WRS:

I agree that 2nd is a tad too slow and 3rd is too fast. I have heard that some folks replace the engine drive pulley with one from a hydro since it's larger. I've never done that and I don't know how much of an increase you'd get but at least a little. :)

ericj

I did replace the engine drive pulley on a 416-8 that I re-powered with an 18 hp onan with the hydro pulley. I was a little difficult to find a correct belt to fit and you can smell it burning every once and awhile. 3 gear is definitely faster. the rest of the gears are close to the same. 2nd gear maybe a little faster and seems to make some difference. this is why I kinda prefer to mow with a hydro although my problem is with a hydro I go to fast and like the better quality of cut I get with a gear drive.

eric j 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:  Copy that Eric.    You know I only use Hydros...and with foot control and hydraulic lift.  I am constantly changing speeds and direction and lifting the deck while mowing around  trees, tree roots,  and buildings.   

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      I just mow in second gear and enjoy the extra seat time on my 310-8. Lower RPMs will not give the mower a proper blade tip speed and will not provide enough engine cooling. If you need to cut your mowing time you may want to consider a 42" deck, the 310 will handle it just fine.

• Like 2

dcrage

You guys must have pool tables for lawns.  I have never been on a surface that I would cut in 3rd high. 

Seriously were our tractors & decks designed to cut at those speeds?  I would think 8 mph is kinda fast and my 37" would not cut that well at that speed. Aren't we trying to impose Zero Turn performance onto our tractors?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

608KEB

I always thought gear 1 1/2 would be a good speed. My lawn isn't  that  flat.

• Excellent 1

Tractor boy

Did you try third low?

dcrage

3rd low is slower than 1st high. Speeds increase in order from 1st low to 3rd high. 

• Like 2

608KEB
2 hours ago, 608KEB said:

I always thought gear 1 1/2 would be a good speed. My lawn isn't  that  flat.

What I'm saying is the speed between 1 and 2 when in high range. That'd be  perfect for me.

Ed Kennell

The only 8 speed I use for mowing is a Raider 12 with a 42" SD deck.   I use it to mow the 500' x 20' right of way.  High - second is almost too fast.   High - third would turn your kidneys inside out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JC 1965

I cut my grass in 2nd gear with 312-8 and 42" deck. I get a better cut that way.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Molon_Labe

I'm in the minority on this one for sure. I mow in 1st gear with my C-101 with the 42RD deck. Second is way too fast, too many back surgeries for the bumps and jolts of the higher speeds. I do wish that 1st gear was the same ratio as reverse, that would be about perfect.

• Like 5

jackhammer

I use 1st gear for my 1/2 acre a   312 42 sd with a vac bagger,,,   

Rick

• Like 2

TDF5G

Full throttle high range in 2nd gear.  I run 1st gear along the ditch or tricky spots.  3rd gear is too fast for bumps, it doesn't leave a nice cut.  My dad mows in 3rd gear usually and the results are poor IMO.  If I'm gonna put in the effort to mow, I prefer it to look good when I'm done, not have it look like it needs mowing again.

• Like 4

P3x

I have aRrecycler deck mounted on my 310-8. Have the deck set at its highest setting and have to use 1st High to get the best cut.Painfully slow... Use 2nd gear if only if in a rush (rain coming).  In 2nd seems to miss a lot especially in turns no mater how gradual.  Figure it may be due to going too fast is not allowing the grass blades to straighten out after going under the front tires/deck compounded by the deck losing vacuum effect set at its highest position.

Don't remember having the same cutting issues when using 42/48 SD decks, but like the idea of recycling grass clippings.  After the summer heat going to try lowering the deck a few notches and see how it cuts in 2nd.

• Like 1

pfrederi

My primary mowers are a 418A with a foot control and a C175 8 speed both with 48SD decks. Favorite is C175 2nd gear...Like the old Ron Popiel TV infomercials said "Set it and Forget it"  Up or down steep hills into heavy grass whatever  no changes