mrocket49

C-175 electrical gremlin

mrocket49

Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with my Wheel Horse that has me stumped and I need some assistance with trouble shooting.

It's a 1982 C-175 series II with point ignition. I turn the key on and everything works as it should, I start it (starts easily), it runs for 5 seconds and then shuts off as if I turned off the ignition. I try to restart it and there is no power to the solenoid. Also, no power to the lights. It's as if the battery is disconnected.

Things I've done;

Switched ignition switch with known good one from my 1984 C-125

checked battery voltage

checked all 3 safety interlock switches

cleaned all connections inc. grounds

cleaned and set point gap

checked fuses

ot start

I have the wiring diagram and was wondering if a bad regulator/rectifier could cause this issue?

IMG_1484.JPG.d9becdb4ef0c603772fb15a00f8ea4d4.JPG

953 nut

For testing purposes I would suggest running a jumper directly to the coil "+" terminal from the battery "+" terminal and jumper the starter solenoid to see if it will run without this issue. Also, take a good look at the amp meter connections, they have a reputation for causing problems.

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

I would suspect the ammeter or the wiring to and from it. To eliminate the ammeter -

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery and isolate it so it can not accidently contact the (-) battery post.

Take one of the wires off the ammeter and install it on the other ammeter post so both wires are connected together.

Reconnect the (-) battery cable to the battery and see what happens.

Garry

• Thanks 1

squonk

I had a 81 C-125. Same symptom. The fuse holder had started to break apart and it would lose connection. Check that along with the ammeter connections.

• Like 1

mrocket49

Thanks, I'll try these 3 responses and let you know what I find.

Mike

mrocket49

I checked all three suggestions above but the problem still persisits

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, mrocket49 said:

1) "For testing purposes I would suggest running a jumper directly to the coil "+" terminal from the battery "+" terminal and jumper the starter solenoid to see if it will run without this issue"

The engine turns over while I jumper the solenoid but there is no spark to the plugs

2) "I would suspect the ammeter or the wiring to and from it. To eliminate the ammeter -

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery and isolate it so it can not accidently contact the (-) battery post.

Take one of the wires off the ammeter and install it on the other ammeter post so both wires are connected together.

Reconnect the (-) battery cable to the battery and see what happens."

this had no effect on the problem. I still don't have any power to anything, lights, hour meter, etc.

3) "I had a 81 C-125. Same symptom. The fuse holder had started to break apart and it would lose connection. Check that along with the ammeter connections."

I took the ampmeter out of the circuit as suggested but still had no change in the condition.

Are there any other suggestions for me to check? I'm wondering if the regulator/rectifier would create this problem if it went bad?

Miike

gwest_ca

So you have battery voltage at the ammeter? If you do try this.

If you have a mower deck on it or any other attachment remove the drive belt from the pto.

Sit on the seat to close the seat switch and turn the pto on. See if it starts now.

Garry

gwest_ca

This one has been bugging me because there is an error somewhere.

The wiring diagram above shows the pto switch powering the ignition switch B terminal when the pto is OFF.

When the pto is ON the seat switch powers the ignition switch using the A terminal.

If you look at the schematic of the 103990 ignition switch the position of the A and R terminals is reversed to what is shown in the C-Series wiring diagram.

What am I missing here?

It should be the A terminal that powers the ignition switch with the pto ON but what is it's position on the switch?

Detailed wiring diagrams

Garry

Switch Ignition 103990.jpg

mrocket49

I wanted to update my post.

I found the problem! It was the wire that goes from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch. It had a break that I couldn't find until I undid all the wiring cover. Runs great now since I went through everything else and cleaned and adjusted. Thanks to all who helped me with suggestions.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
11 minutes ago, mrocket49 said:

found the problem!

:woohoo: