clueless

Painting wheels?

clueless

Got a pair of 8.5 wide wheel from a member,( Shuboxlover), good guy to do business with, a few week ago. The paint around the lip is flaking and peeling off, the rest of the painting seems to be okay, this is the second set of these I've seen like that. I'm not sure which tractor I will be putting these on down the road, B-80, or the 416-8, ether way they will need to be painted. My question, if I do some wire brushing with my drill to get rid of the flakes and ruff up the rest of the surface, would that be enough to repaint them, not looking for show room stuff, but something that will hold up. Media blasting in this area has gone the way of most thing now days, big time or non at all. Only guy I could find said $65.00 per rim:o. Any suggestion?

• Like 2

19richie66

I would wire wheel the flakes, then feather sand the edges with some 150 (or so) grit sand paper. Prime and paint the outer edge with a couple good coats and then blend in the rest of the wheel. 

• Like 5

953 nut

Presuming there is no evidence of rust between the rim and tire I should think that would be fine.

• Like 2

Dan693

I would wire wheel the heck out of them with a drill brush, wipe them down with good solvent, spray with a rust remover that turns to primer, then spray with wheel paint color.

I spray with the primer as soon as the solvent evaporates so it limits exposure to the air (rust).

Not sure what correct color paint is for your wheels but mine are Rustoleum 7789 Canvas White. I love the color.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

All of the above ... and those old worn out playing cards really work well to mask the tires.

• Like 4

gwest_ca

Good chance a rubber cleaner or conditioner has been applied to the tire and it has migrated to the wheel or got applied to it also. There is a silicone polish remover available to clean before sanding and after sanding. The thought is to remove the silicone before the sanding process drives it deeper into the old paint.

Garry

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Actually, I started on my "new" 1056's rims today...

was using this new tool I've recently added to my arsenal.  

IMG_0139.JPG.6cf2f2c6b57f3f9fc42dae75a9b1bf63.JPG

A while back, a few of the retired navy guys were at work sharing old war stories...

mentioned using an old school needle guns back in the day, to remove rust & scale on ships while at sea. 

:dunno: Figured, what the hey... I'd try an Ebay search for a cheap used one...

found&bought a band new one for a good price, was kinda surprised when two of 'em showed up in the mail. 

Anyway, like I said...gave it a shot today, & it made short work of that nasty old rust too.

IMG_0143.JPG.2e2ac18a0c59351badab21f9b3cf1101.JPG

Figured it take the whole process on one, from start to finished to share here with the forum.

Pretty impressed with the ease of use, and final product.  :greetings-clapyellow:  Only three more to go now.  

How long to just remove the rust? 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

The first pict, showing the needle gun...

took maybe 5 mins, or less.  :dunno:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pacer

I use 'sand' blasting and danged if that doesnt look every bit as good as a blasted rim!! I've long heard of a needle gun but never been around one -- this just might have me doing a search for one!!

Probably worth asking for the benefit of the guys that dont have a big compressor - I would imagine it likes a lot of air?? as most air tools do...

• Like 2

cschannuth
40 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

The first pict, showing the needle gun...

took maybe 5 mins, or less.  :dunno:

Can it damage the tire if the needles hit the rubber?

AMC RULES
32 minutes ago, pacer said:

I use 'sand' blasting and danged if that doesnt look every bit as good as a blasted rim!! I've long heard of a needle gun but never been around one -- this just might have me doing a search for one!!

Probably worth asking for the benefit of the guys that dont have a big compressor - I would imagine it likes a lot of air?? as most air tools do...

:dunno: I've only got a 150psi Craftsman, with a small 33 gal tank. 

Compressor cycled 4-5 times in the process of doing both sides of this rim. 

5 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Can it damage the tire if the needles hit the rubber?

While, I didn't concentrate the pack of needles directly on the rubber...

I did lightly hit the area around the valve stem, and lip around the bead. 

Using only one, or two of the individual needles...not noticeable damage occurred to my eye. 

• Like 3

DennisThornton

I've blasted many an hour and it's rusts worst enemy.  But I don't have that big air compressor now...  However I did buy a needle scaler years ago but it still needs more CFMs than a have... 

cschannuth

It looks like northern tool has an inexpensive unit with mostly good reviews.  It seems like it might hold up well enough for the occasional user. 

squonk

I have the HF Needle scaler + I got a box of extra needles. One of the best tools I have ever bought anywhere. I wear eye and ear protection and have at it. It's great for frames too. DO NOT USE ON SHEET METAL!!!!! :banana-wrench:

+

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, pacer said:

I've long heard of a needle gun but never been around one

I guess the Air Force didn't wand a million little dents on the wings of the air craft!  :teasing-neener:   I remember them (not fondly) from my Navy days.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

We used the large pneumatic needle scalers for cleaning hydro turbine parts when shot blasting was not practical.   Both processes were noisy and dirty but with long periods of use, the needle scalers had a reputation for causing carpal tunnel problems.

Sarge

Needle scalers can remove some serious stuff , but be aware they leave a pretty rough surface . Almost all air hammers use the same threaded nose on them and Ingersoll Rand makes an add-on needle scaler - some TSC stores carry it in stock , I think around $40 . I use one on mine for cleaning old crusty welds and rusted metal prior to welding , they work wonders but if you want a smooth paint finish you'll have to follow up with some metal sanding or build up a heck of a lot of primer .

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-needle-scaler-attachment

Biggest use around here is cleaning slag off large diameter (5/32") 6011 welds in tight spots .

Sarge

• Thanks 1

Cub fan

Wow!!:happy-jumpeveryone: Great information on this site,   Question, how does playing card work on paint masking? Thanks Jim go Cubs!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Image result for playing card rim mask

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cable
On 8/12/2017 at 5:40 PM, AMC RULES said:

Actually, I started on my "new" 1056's rims today...

was using this new tool I've recently added to my arsenal.  

IMG_0139.JPG.6cf2f2c6b57f3f9fc42dae75a9b1bf63.JPG

A while back, a few of the retired navy guys were at work sharing old war stories...

mentioned using an old school needle guns back in the day, to remove rust & scale on ships while at sea. 

:dunno: Figured, what the hey... I'd try an Ebay search for a cheap used one...

found&bought a band new one for a good price, was kinda surprised when two of 'em showed up in the mail. 

Anyway, like I said...gave it a shot today, & it made short work of that nasty old rust too.

IMG_0143.JPG.2e2ac18a0c59351badab21f9b3cf1101.JPG

Figured it take the whole process on one, from start to finished to share here with the forum.

IMG_0148.JPG.be22718de39d28908ef66ed415215906.JPG  

IMG_0152.JPG.f7f9cd660b8a38a6dbf9f543452c6ee7.JPG

Pretty impressed with the ease of use, and final product.  :greetings-clapyellow:  Only three more to go now.  

IMG_0151.JPG.e0c03eb8d5c2c9bfceec7d1706966ba9.JPG

Good work.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Slowly making some :wh: progress.

:greetings-clapyellow:  As of today, only one more to go...

IMG_0166.JPG.d13cdca38829d61fbce71c0fab643e87.JPGIMG_0170.JPG.bd29ba12ccbccdfc9cd2d5fdea70cb3c.JPGIMG_0171.JPG.3544dab579b2f4d7836d586c1bca23fd.JPG

• Excellent 4

19richie66

Very nice Craig!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:greetings-clapyellow:  Thank you Rich...  

was finally able to make the big push today...and got that last one done. :handgestures-thumbsup: IMG_0199.JPG.43d702af1e0578bec169cd720314a2df.JPGIMG_0203.JPG.95feed6dd521b866aaedb49a627dc6a5.JPGIMG_0205.JPG.8e8282ac6df5d782c38b66ef6983fed2.JPG

• Excellent 5

Twohorses

I have been following your progress, but my first project required removal of the tires since I was not able to get a seal due to the rust. I found someone to sandblast the wheels down to bare metal. ($10 each), so now I have primed, painted, and mounted new tires.

The next project (1969 Raider 12) is just a cleanup, so I bought a needle gun and will give that a go. I hope mine look as good as yours.

• Like 2