clueless

Rear seal leak?

clueless

Last summer I picked up two 1gal. jugs of TSC (travelers) 90wt gear oil cheap at a yard sale. Last fall I decided to change the oil in the 312 and the B-80. Drained both and ran a mixture of 1qt kerosene, 1qt 90wt, thru all the gears for 20 minutes, then drained and ran 2qt of the 90wt for another 20 minutes and drained, probably over kill but I got this stuff real cheap. I bought 2 more quarts of the stuff and filled both trans, parked both in the back of the shop, rears to the wall. Yesterday I was moving stuff around and I noticed both are leaking, not much, from the left axle seal. Do you think with some use they may stop leaking, neither leaked before the change.  

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, clueless said:

with some use they may stop leaking

You probably will get by just fine with that plan.  When you drained them the first time do you remember how much came out? Could be they hadn't leaked because they were too low.

Anglo Traction

Just my thoughts on this,

I suspect the initial diluted mix with Kerosene got to the Needle Roller area near the seal(s) inside and was trapped there when drained for the final refill of 90wt. Kerosene has a marvellous ability to find gaps etc through capillary action due to low viscosity and it can dissolve dried oil residues that assisted with sealing the Axle Seals . You don't say if you mixed it before filling, or added the 2 separately to the Trans?.

Even when mixed with heavier oils it can separate again over time.

Being in Florida and having higher average temperatures, any residues will most likely evaporate out of the oil if you allow the Trans to breath after use.

I'm sure the seal(s) will heal in time, meanwhile just tie some pieces of absorbent cotton rag or paper kitchen Towel strips onto the Axle shafts against the Trans ends if they both have exposed axles between Trans and Hubs. Check n Change them as required until they no longer absorb any Oil. Will also keep your floors cleaner.   

• Like 1

clueless
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You probably will get by just fine with that plan.  When you drained them the first time do you remember how much came out? Could be they hadn't leaked because they were too low.

NC. Richard, they were both full, when I buy these things I top off the fluid if needed. I think with a little use they'll stop leaking. 

26 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Just my thoughts on this,

I suspect the initial diluted mix with Kerosene got to the Needle Roller area near the seal(s) inside and was trapped there when drained for the final refill of 90wt. Kerosene has a marvellous ability to find gaps etc through capillary action due to low viscosity and it can dissolve dried oil residues that assisted with sealing the Axle Seals . You don't say if you mixed it before filling, or added the 2 separately to the Trans?.

Even when mixed with heavier oils it can separate again over time.

Being in Florida and having higher average temperatures, any residues will most likely evaporate out of the oil if you allow the Trans to breath after use.

I'm sure the seal(s) will heal in time, meanwhile just tie some pieces of absorbent cotton rag or paper kitchen Towel strips onto the Axle shafts against the Trans ends if they both have exposed axles between Trans and Hubs. Check n Change them as required until they no longer absorb any Oil. Will also keep your floors cleaner.   
UK. Richard, sound right, the temp in the shop this time of year when closed during the day, is around 100 degrees. I think I'll wrap some absorbent towels around them or maybe something with wings.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

If they don't Chris, they are not hard to change out.  :)

tunahead72
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, clueless said:

I think I'll wrap some absorbent towels around them or maybe something with wings.

Nope, not even gonna ask. :snooty: