formariz

551 deck question

formariz

Can someone enlighten me as to what (if anything) is supposed to keep deck blades on the 551 from spinning when belt is not engaged? Although I do not have a guard on mine , I don't see that guard preventing belt from engaging pulley when pedal is not engaged. From the way it is now blades always turn since the mere weight of belt creates enough friction on pulley. Of course if blades find resistance as when they hit something, belt will slip. It would be be good as a safety precaution for blades not to turn when deck is not engaged.

rj35hunter

The belt guard plays a large role in keeping the belt from turning when not engaged....the Suburban belt guard for the deck has a belt guide made into it that puts enough pressure on the belt to keep it from turning.....

Edited by rj35hunter
  • Thanks 1

formariz

Can you or anyone else furnish me with photo and detailed dimensions of such guard. Even better would be if anyone has one available.

Aldon

I think this photo shows a 551/suburban belt guard...correct?

I am out of town tomorrow but the next dry day I'll pull the belt guard and take detailed photos for you. Should be Monday or Tuesday unless someone posts help sooner.

IMG_1192.PNG.924a2a97dacabd5886eeb7dd365abc60.PNG

formariz

I have the other set up. The one used on a 1960 deck with no wheels. Guard is the long type and sits horizontally.