Jhawkins

IMG_2421.PNG.024a061c819bf812d078dd49aebb656e.PNG

IMG_2420.PNG

IMG_2422.PNG

• Like 5

Achto
2 hours ago, Jhawkins said:

IMG_2401.JPG

Did you get a hold down clip for the choke lever with your air cleaner kit?

Jhawkins

Yes on my to do list

Tgtack

Love the tractor, and what your doing to it. If you check the parts manual, your hood is from a 1961 401 or 551 tractor. The 400 used the hood with the square cut out and throttle levers. The hood you have was only used in 61 on the 401/551, so is rather hard to locate. Only reason I picked up on that, is because I am restoring a 551 and have a 401 as well, and have been finding difficulty getting decent parts.

Screenshot_2017-08-12-19-04-13.png

Edited by Tgtack
  • Excellent 2

Achto

I had noticed that too. Tranny & foot boards are correct for 1960 though.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Molon_Labe
4 hours ago, Achto said:

I had noticed that too. Tranny & foot boards are correct for 1960 though.

Nice project tractor and I see it also has the 1960 firewall to add to Achto's observations. I'd say a 1960 model with a '61 hood.

• Excellent 2

Jhawkins

Didn't know that. It's my first project so that's good to know. Thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

Tgtack
3 hours ago, Jhawkins said:

Didn't know that. It's my first project so that's good to know. Thanks for the input. 

A very nice project for the first one. But watch out, it is addictive! Please don't take our comments as criticism, we are just providing input as in some cases it is difficult to figure out what is correct. That said, many of us have pure breds and Heinz 57 varieties. Some unintentional, and some intentional. I plan to convert one of my 857's to an 877 as it is difficult for me to mow with a manual clutch. Regardless of your decision as to what you do with your tractor, it is a very nice looking unit!

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 1

Jhawkins

I'm very new to this so I appreciate all the help and info I can get. I have all the original attachments that came with it( bellymower,snowplow, &a garden plow). They are next on my list to work on. Wish I could find a sickle bar for the front however.

• Like 1

Jhawkins

Ok here's a question. What is the round cut out for? Would like to do something with the hole besides just cup holder. 

Tgtack
11 minutes ago, Jhawkins said:

Ok here's a question. What is the round cut out for? Would like to do something with the hole besides just cup holder. 

@Jhawkins  There is a metal plug that fits in the hole. If you search for this below in that popular auction site, you will find a new one for about $19. On the 551 electric start, it was drilled in the middle for the ignition switch (extremely rare to find). On some of the 401 models it was either blank or it was drilled for a kill switch.

"New Original OEM 1961 Wheel Horse Tractor 401 551 Hood Hole Plug Button #4225"

$T2eC16JHJHQE9nzEyOiHBRGBib0+Og--60_1.JPG

@Jhawkins, if I may ask, why did you swap out the Kohler engine? What do you plan to do with it?

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Jhawkins

The guy I purchased this from rebuilt it and it has a new carb. I was worried of damaging or ruining the engine given its age and value so it's up on the shelf for now. Haven't thought to much about what to do with it

Jhawkins

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

• Excellent 1

Tgtack
48 minutes ago, Jhawkins said:

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

The Kohler engines are extremely long lived, most of mine are original, never rebuilt. Always good to keep any original parts.

Couple questions about the pics, in the first one, there appears to be a lever (rod) laying on the foot rest?

In the second pic, what is up with the brake rod (looks bent), and the bolt through the brake pedal?

Great looking tractor!

Edited by Tgtack

Jhawkins

Yes I thought that too about the brake rod as for the other it is to engage the belly mower when attached here are some pics before I painted it and one off line. I believe I have some more work to do to get the mower just right. 

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2336.PNG

• Like 1

Tgtack

This is what I am dealing with on my 551. Wrong engine, Kohler K91 instead of the Tecumseh/Lauson 5.5 hp. Wrong hood and then bobbed to fit. Head stand (only used on the 551) has the battery bracket cut off, and a patch on one of the uprights. Missing drive belt clutch finger, belt guard, and wrong brake pedal. Have found a suitable engine, original belt guard, a rough hood,  and an original ignition switch and key (probably the hardest part to find).

00101_eGeEDAXRGu5_1200x900.jpg

• Excellent 2

Jhawkins

I'm looking for the exploded view on the mower engage lever on the foot rest. Also ran out of paint before I got to the mower deck. Thinking of going black with it. Your thoughts?

Tgtack
1 hour ago, Jhawkins said:

I'm looking for the exploded view on the mower engage lever on the foot rest. Also ran out of paint before I got to the mower deck. Thinking of going black with it. Your thoughts?

There should be a parts list and drawing in one of the mower deck manuals, generally can find by year if you don't know the model. As far as paint, with the work already done, I would get the red paint to make it match.

• Excellent 1