Mt Zion 520H

244H with Front Blade and 19.5 b&s engine??

Mt Zion 520H

Link deleted; sorry about that brother 

What's something like that worth?

Exploring options since i can't seem to find a cheap plow or anything for my 520H.

Edited by Mt Zion 520H

953 nut
6 hours ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

I don't think this will push snow like the 520 will, keep looking for a plow. Looks like a bit of a FrankenHorse, not something I would buy without checking it over carefully. You are not supposed to put links to Ebay on the site. You may want to copy and paste a couple of pictures and the description in place of the link.

WHX??

That tractor should have had an Onan for a motor but somebody did a repo hence the raised hood. Does look like it was tastefully done tho & probably a good tractor for lawn cutting and might not do too bad of a job plowing with the right weights & chains. Hard to tell what that motor is so it would hinge on that . Original was a 14 hp. Might not be a bad buy if you are into vertical shafts but definitely not worth the listed price ..$300.00 tops not hearing it run or being able to check it out. Looks like some PO has quite abit of time into it what with the repo and raised hood. Also appears it was fairly well taken care of but pics can be deceiving.  Should have a peerless rear end in it which were not the worst transaxle ever made. Downside there is there is no way to change the fluid and no filter. I have a 246H with the same transaxle and never changed mine but never had problems in the 15+ years I have owned it. I use mine for a daily mower but have a 244 for a parts tractor just for the rear end and the hardware on it.

s-l16004.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16005.jpg

Edit: 19 hp a plus if it runs good & gotta like the custom brush guard! Good luck if you decide to buy! :)

Mt Zion 520H

Hmm.. Interesting.

What's Repo mean?.. I'm used to it meaning taken back for non payment. Lol.

Also.. Whats a good price for a plow?.. Most i see want 250 and up.. Just thought if i could get another horse with something on it for just a hair more.. I'd be winning. Lol.

Thanks brothers.

WHX??

Repo means the bank is going to take it back because he wants to paint it green and yellow....:huh:

NAWWW just kidding ...repo is short for repower in our circles meaning engine swap! :lol:

250 or so might be a good price for a plow pending condition. The bigger question is what extra $$ would you have to spend to fit it up to a different  tractor. If your a fabricator not a big deal.

Also thos ags on the back are worth a little, they look like Deestones so 150 right there new or 75-100 used.

Edited by WHX12

WVHillbilly520H

As far as what Jim meant by "repo" is repowered with a different engine, now if your 520 runs and moves decent, that little 244 will never be the pusher it is, a B,C,3,4 or500 series are the horizontal engine garden tractors for that, the newer 26X series would be a better choice for a vertical shaft engine L&G tractor for all seasons just my opinion... I see Jim got finished before me, also just keep looking for a snow plow, a 42" can be be made to work on the 520 and without the factory frame extension, I added moldboard extensions to 50" wide and then 4" to between the moldboard mount to frame, Jeff.

IMAG2085.jpg

IMAG2089.jpg

Mt Zion 520H

Lol.. Thanks WHX. I gotta see if i have the rear axle mounts.. Not even sure.

WVH.. Thanks for the info. Um; what am i looking at? Lol. Super novice at these things since was raised in a concrete jungle. Are their two types of plow for the 520H; one with the long frame that needs extension under and another which mounts on front and doesn't need extension? I see some short with those dual springs in front and others longer without them. What's best? Also seen some that said center mount blade/grader... So it's supposed to shave earth right below you between tires? What's best?

WHX??

Don't worry about being a novice as the fellas here love to help and educate if you are willing to learn!

Blower man myself here so can't answer too many questions about a plow but others who prefer plowing over blowing will be along. I do know you should cross a mid mount off the list as the snow will just pile up under the tractor and you will need to clear the track in front of the tractor.

WVHillbilly520H

Technically there's really only one style of snow/dozer for the 520, it's the long A frame style that fits all the way back to the B,C,3,400 series and early 5s but with the swept forward axle they came up with the frame/mid lift extension but I was cheap an inexperienced when first bought mine new back in 1998 so that was my way of extending the moldboard forward of the axle so it can be angled left or right without hitting the front tires, difference shown in last 2 pics of factory vs my cheapness  pic #2 the 520 blade frame extension, Jeff.

IMAG2806.jpg

56756764f1f41_112311-114.jpg.91d01ec9443a9682af330d2343828193.jpg

IMAG2548.jpg

Screenshot_20170811-112123.png

Mt Zion 520H

Thanks WHX. Really want something to move ground with, not so much snow as i've not had a problem witb getting out driveway with the rwd 4Runner yet. Lol.

Would like to level uneven / bumpy lawn. What are options for this type of job? Is a tiller better or is that for acheiving a different goal? I'd imagine a tiller would cost more than a blade.. And trying to keep cost low but if the job can only be done by 1 tool.. So be it.

Ah... Now i see WVH.

Moldboard is the blade and tou just pushed it out farther. Ok. Lol.

Edited by Mt Zion 520H

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

Would like to level uneven / bumpy lawn. What are options for this type of job? Is a tiller better or is that for acheiving a different goal? I'd imagine a tiller would cost more than a blade.. And trying to keep cost low but if the job can only be done by 1 tool.. So be it.

Tillers are for garden plots especially after being worked up with a different kind of plow, and a front blade will work but not like a full size earth moving BullDozer, you really need to have topsoil hauled in to fill the low spots then use the WH to grade/level it out, IMO , then there's the rear lift rock shaft and or clevis hitch to be able to lift and lower the tiller or garden plows, Jeff.

IMAG3375.jpg

IMAG3113.jpg

Screenshot_20170225-080406.png

IMAG3283.jpg

IMAG3298.jpg

WHX??
1 hour ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

something to move ground with, not so much snow

Oh ok ...now I get it, yes then a mid-mount is a good option. mine only get's used when the ground is already loosened up but does ok by itself  on softer soils and gravel that is loose. To get rid od of a bumpy uneven lawn you are going to have to plow it, disc it and then smooth it out with some type of drag. Like Billy said you may have to bring in some fill depending on your topography.

• Thanks 1

Mt Zion 520H

What's the big rake-like thing for?

And the one with the disks on it?

This is the only thing on rear of mine...

20170812_133114.jpg

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

What's the big rake-like thing for?

And the one with the disks on it?

This is the only thing on rear of mine...

20170812_133114.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't detail my arsenal, the rockshaft/clevis hitch would have to be bought and installed by you check with @wheelhorseman but it's definitely necessary for rear mounted implements such as the 2cd pic it's called a "York" or "root/rock" rake good for leveling gravel or breaking up sod clumps ect, the first pic is the Brinly moldboard/turn over plow for breaking new ground for a garden plot ect, 4th pic is a rear grader blade like they use on farm tractors for driveway repairs snow removal ect and finally last pic the moldboard garden plow with the garden disc which is used for breaking up the freshly broken sod for a garden plot or to help cut up sod to loosen in hopes of moving it with a blade ect, hope this description helps out, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

Mt Zion 520H

Ah; okay. Hm.. Gotta wait for some goods to show up on craigslist then. Lol. What other wheel horse tractors are up there with the 520H ?

WVHillbilly520H

The older B and C series as well as the 300 and 400s , now whether you want to strong arm the implements as in manual lift and manual gear changes or stay with hydrostatic transaxle and hydraulic lift like the 520, that will make a difference in choice too, I'm partial to the 520H so with that said any C,3,400 with a hydro, but it all boils down to what you're comfortable with and your budget, and if it were me I would wait until I find that snow plow, that's how I got all my implements/attachments 1 here and there and when it was in my budget, Jeff.

Mt Zion 520H

I like the hydro and not having to strongarm anything. Lol. Something similar to if not the same 520H would be great if gotten cheap (hair above what plow itself is going for) because then i'd not have to change implements. Lol.

So.. The 244H is vertical even with the dofferent engine and the plow on it would most likely not work on the horizontal 520H?

And vertical shaft not as strong as horizontal for heavy plowing etc?

WVHillbilly520H
10 hours ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

I like the hydro and not having to strongarm anything. Lol. Something similar to if not the same 520H would be great if gotten cheap (hair above what plow itself is going for) because then i'd not have to change implements. Lol.

So.. The 244H is vertical even with the dofferent engine and the plow on it would most likely not work on the horizontal 520H?

And vertical shaft not as strong as horizontal for heavy plowing etc?

If you like the hydro and hydraulics then stay within my above mentioned series tractors, and no the 244 vertical shaft series implements won't work on the horizontal shaft series tractors without a quite a bit of fabrication, again no those little lawn mowers with Peerless transaxle won't hold up like the the Sunstrand/Eaton Unidrive transaxle for heavy pushing/plowing, Jeff.

Mt Zion 520H
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

If you like the hydro and hydraulics then stay within my above mentioned series tractors, and no the 244 vertical shaft series implements won't work on the horizontal shaft series tractors without a quite a bit of fabrication, again no those little lawn mowers with Peerless transaxle won't hold up like the the Sunstrand/Eaton Unidrive transaxle for heavy pushing/plowing, Jeff.

Thanks a lot brother. Will follow tour recomendations. Much appreciated; again. :wh::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Love my 264H!  Love the foot motion control!  Great mower.  It came with a blower and the PO swore it was great but I've never used it. 

Downsides are the lack and scarcity of attachments and the weaker Peerless transaxle.  I have no concerns about mowing & perhaps I shouldn't have any about blowing or plowing snow but i would about plowing dirt or anything that pushes the trans hard. 

I hate to suggest a $ value though I would point out that raised hood as a big negative nor would I pay extra for  the bigger but nonstock engine.  Love the rears but I wouldn't use them on that  tractor. 

• Like 1

Mt Zion 520H

Thanks brothers. Nuff said. Not worth it and wont bother. Lol. I'll be patient and hunt for attachments for my already great 520H.

• Like 1

Mt Zion 520H

Will this works on the 520H?

Screenshot_2017-08-23-13-01-04.png