Skipper

differences between models ? Help me choose please

Skipper

Hi all

Sorry for the noob question. And please don't think im beating on WH. Not the case, I love em. BUT, I have searched high and low. Many fine words stating the good things for many models, but in my noob eyes I have great trouble figuring out what differences there are from model to model. I see the age diffrences, and the new gadgets added over time, resulting in new models. But when I look at 3,4,500 series, C series, C-195 and GT14 etc. I honestly have great trouble finding what merrits those series. In my mind a 400 series must be bigger and better than a 300, and so on with the 500 series. But when I compare size and the obvious to the eye, I do not see a great difference. One is not significantly bigger than the other (not including the D and 5xx series), nor much heavier. Nor is there grounbreaking differences on wheels or much else. It seems that its just about a bit  little bigger engine, and some more bells and whistels on the dashboard. Take the 520. Yes it has a better steering, and a bigger engine. Perhaps a stronger rear end also, but again its not like way bigger than a 400 series, or even a c-160. Yes its better, but that much?

Please enlighten me. I really love the wheelhorse for its ruggedness and old school engeneering.

All this comes from the wish to find a big reliable workhorse, and getting frustrated over not seeing that much difference from one model to the next. Everybody loves the one they have, and maybe that's because they are all good. Just makes it darn difficult to figure out wich ones are in a clase of their own.

Guess what I'm looking for is a valid reason to spend out on what ever is considered to be the best of the best.

So far I'm guidet to believe the 520 is significantly better than all the rest, except from the GT 14 and c-195, wich is also "big tractors". But when I look at tractordata, there are not a great difference in size or weight between these and a lot of other models. 

I know this is a smelly one to push in here, but when I look at JD's compact's, it makes sence. There is notable difference from a 1 to a 2 to a 3 to a 4 series. I'm looking for the light to shine in that way over WH models, in my mind.

Sorry for ranting, and hoping for clarification.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 7

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square  :handgestures-thumbupright:  It is excellent to maybe have another member from overseas.  I say maybe only because you are in here searching for answers to your questions.  If we can answer them to your satisfaction, and you become one of those guys with a horse...please take the maybe out of my statement. 

You are correct...there is not much difference between models, and it is usually horse power that stands out.  Size is always going to be comparable...you need to fit through gates in peoples yards.  Tire size is another thing that may stand out, competition demands that you offer something that is a little cheaper without sacrificing quality...not everybody is looking for the same thing in a garden tractor.  Another thing that was going on...the company was getting sold a couple of times...ie...3,4,5 virsus B, C D series.  The plus here...attachments usually fit the different horses...exception "D" series.  I kind of hit of the obvious differences.  I'm sure some others will chime in.  Anyway, Welcome to the site.  You will not find a nicer, more helpful group of people.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 7

Skipper

Thank  stevasaurus:)

I already am one of the flock. :P I have a c-120 with 42" RD deck, Hydraulics, Tip (hydraulic) 1 ton dump trailer, aerator, rake, spreader, front blade, 1 ton cement roller etc. 

I have no doubt this is a freindly flock, which is why I registered here in the first place. I will try to live up to it.

So basically it is as I thourght. More or less the same tea, just in different cups, and different cubes of sugar.

Then please help me deside on what route to go.

Jobs it must handle:

Mowing. Preferrably 60" deck. It takes me 3 hours with the 42", so bigger is better.

Tilling

Boxblading gravel road

towing

Hitch, preferraby hydraulic. Perhaps I will fab a 3pt. for it.

Strong rearend and hubs, diff lock if posible.

Hydro if possible

Old school no noncense

As big as possible, and still fit the WH idea/model.

It should be as rugged and no bulls... as posible. Work all day, every day, and newer break down. wishfull thinking, but as close to it as possible.

It may be a candidate for a bigger custombuild I have planed. I have a 3 pot diesel laying around, that I might want to fab in it.

This is my lineup of contenders so far:

My c-120, but I think a lot of things need be done before it runs a 60" deck. Perhaps better let it live for the kids as it is. Also I'm not sure if it strong enough to handle my plans.

C-195, but I fear finding the implements and parts will become difficult.

D series is out. It is neither nor in my book, and should I go that way, it will be more versatile and propably another color as well.

5xx series is not what I see a wheelhorse as. It may be good machines, but it is not for me.

520H, with todays info, just because they come with a 60" deck, and a bit bit stronger front end. Easier acces to implements. But could I just as well chose any other with a Eaton 11 rear end if I'm going to repower it anyuway?

All input is appreciated greatly

Thanks

Edited by Skipper
I do typos a lot........ Bet you would too in Danish :-)
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Take the "maybe" out of my post above.  Welcome to Red Square. :handgestures-thumbupright:  I want to say one thing here that you should know and anybody else that joins in here should realize...you, being from Europe...Wheel Horse had a factory in Belgium.  Long story short, Wheel Horse used parts to put out horses over there...they may have different model numbers and some different parts and looks from the manuals that you see from the state side horses.  A lot of that is covered in the Manuals section on this sites main page.  That in no means takes away from any of the quality...it was a mater of survival.  Just something to know and learn about.  There is a list of Belgium model numbers in the manuals section...not sure if we have an extensive list of Belgium Manuals, but the differences between say a Raider 10 and a C-101 may be nothing.

Take a look and see what is available here...ask any questions.  Welcome to the madness.  :banana-linedance:

BTW. I have seen diesels and "hit and miss" engines running these horses.  You are only limited by your imagination.  Dang...I sound like Willy Wonka.:occasion-xmas:

• Like 8

KC9KAS

@Skipper :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

ACman

:WRS: ... Skipper :woohoo: !

I still consider myself a newbie and to still trying to figure out models from the late 60's and up . If you need a tractor find a "real" tractor.The 520H is a beast of a garden tractor (please no haters just my :twocents-02cents:)   . Now I say garden tractor just because to me a "real" subcompact utility tractor is a engine bolted to a cast iron transmission which is bolted to a cast iron rear end with hydraulics and 3point . Maybe it's because my family sold Allis Chalmers AG tractors :confusion-shrug: . I even considered my Kabota BX2230 to be a overgrown GT . I love my 520H but as you know they have their quirks . Wiring gremlins for one . Second the Onan engine which is a good engine  but parts availability makes it expensive to work on . That however makes it a prefect candidate for a repower . Especially if you can find one cheap with a bad engine . The C195 is a beast too but seem rare as hens teeth. For a no frills :wh: workhorse a C160 hydro is probably your best bet in my opinion . You could do a 520H swept axel and steering swap for old school reliability with new school maneuverability . People here who have them seem love them . Hopefully a C160 is my next Horse :handgestures-fingerscrossed: . What I really like about  :wh:Wheel Horse over let's say John Deere IMG_2136.GIF.4ffe998cabc3902cc73e56357db10c6c.GIFor other brands (and I've seen and worked on all kinds back in the day) is their simple design which makes them easy to work on . Also the implement and parts compatibility from the 60's-00's if you have a classic series which makes finding them a little easier at least around my neck of the woods . I own Horses from a 1958 4hp RJ to a 1995 520H and every one is tough as nails. Hopefully others will chime in with more knowledge than me. Like I said I'm still learning too and I'll take all the Horse schooling I can get :) .

• Like 6