Jessb

Value of 1965 lawn tractor

Jessb

Hello all.  I am looking for a value on a 1965, fully restored lawn tractor with no implements. It has the blade engagement attachment and the hitch arm on it. It has a Koehler engine on it as well. The guy just wants what he paid for it out of it.  He paid $750 for it already restored.  It starts on the second pull and runs great. I believe it is an 855 model.  Thanks!

• Like 2

pfrederi

"Fully Restored" can mean different things to different people.  Was the engine overhauled (if so by whom) or just new paint, seats, and decals....

What do you want the tractor for?  Mowing , plowing hauling????

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I'm thinking it had better be in absolutely fantastic condition for that kind of money with no attachments.  :think:

BTW...Welcome to Red Square.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

clueless

A truly fully restored 855 is worth every bit of $750.00 if not a lot more, a refreshed, or refurbished one not so much. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Maybe Chris...location, location, location.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

CasualObserver

I'll add that for an 855 I'm thinking it should run at the bump of a key, not "start on second pull.".... and even nicely painted I can't see that money... not for 8HP in the midwest, anyway...

unless its a collectible model, that's a pretty hard sell..

• Like 7

clueless
21 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Maybe Chris...location, location, location.  :occasion-xmas:

Yea, Steve, your right. some places in Connecticut, a fully restored 855, would go for twice that:handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Chris...I think you were saying the same thing as I was anyway.  One thing for sure...if the seller is just trying to get his money out of it, and paid that much...it was not a good investment.  It would be nice to see pictures when these threads pop up, but even then it may be hard to say what it really looks like.  I am wondering why it might be a pull start...an 855 should be electric start...right??  :)

• Like 4

Racinbob

I agree it's probably high without seeing it. If it is an excellent restoration maybe not......but the recoil start dings it some. But look at it another way. If somebody wants a nice restored machine of that era and doesn't have the time, skills, tools, desire or any combination of those it may not be a bad deal. You all know what it costs to take a 'project' tractor and transform it into a beauty. Not likely for $750 not even figuring your time. @Jessb we could help you better if we had pictures and more info. I think you're pretty close to @Lane Ranger. Hint...hint...:)

• Like 3

ACman

1965 was debut for the square short hood...but for $750 in my neck of the woods it better be one SUPER nice all original or a full nut bolt restore with proof . Even then I think it's to much . I always try to buy them right , where I know I can hopefully make some money or break even . But then again I'm a cheap :silence: ... :lol: 

@Racinbob has a point too . I've paid $750 for a fully restored RJ with $1500 in receipts , front plow and rear plough . Everything powder coated . Then again for a extra Benjamin he through in over $400 in RJ parts . That was a nobrainer in my eyes ! 

• Like 5

WHX??

First off Jess :WRS:

Second forgive the above clowns  for just wanting to dicker over tractors and not welcoming you!

Third ... they're advice is spot on

Fourth..  if you want really want to know what you might be buying put up some pics for a good assessment, these clowns can spot a hair on a gnat's @$$ with the right pics.

Fifth  Mike that 855 is gorgeous... take it to CT ...those guys might  double your 750   :lol:

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Ultimately, final cost is determined by the buyer, & seller.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Everyone here knows you'ld be hard pressed to "restore" that :wh: for $750, but...

at the same time, I think I'd tap out @$500 for that particular model, regardless of how good it looks.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 9

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Jessb Welcome to Red Square .A few pictures would be a big help. These guys will be able to determine the model and year by pictures and give you a better idea of what the tractor is worth. As @WHX12 stated they can find a hairline crack in an ants eye just by a picture .  A lot of these guys have been collecting and using :wh: for years.

• Like 3

Jessb

@mike'shorse-barn thank you.  It looks exactly like yours only maybe a hair shorter, and the seat has no back. Yes, the engine has been fully overhauled and it has all the decals and everything on it. It is not an electric start, but a recoil, it also has no kill switch.   I know the guy personally, he is as honest as the day is long, so I don't doubt that's what he paid for it. I just wasn't sure if it was a bit steep. 

@AMC RULES, I was thinking $500 tops on it as well. Like I said above, I don't doubt he paid $750 for it, but he probably got caught up in the moment and wanted it. 

@elcamino/wheelhorse, I don't have a picture of it on me.  I wish I had snapped one last night but didn't. If I can get it today I will.  

• Like 4

KC9KAS

@Jessb :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I am afraid most of the comments above are spot on. $750 is a lot for that machine unless it is "New Old Stock"!

There is a Red Square member @Lane Ranger from Greencastle IN. Maybe you can contact him and get some good advise face to face.

• Like 2

Jessb

Would a 655 model be worth more or less fully restored?  I wasn't sure if it was 855 or 655.  I guess I should've put both options in my original post so I could've gotten a comparison.  I know someone said they wouldn't give $750 for either model. Just curious. 

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: No, same :wh:, different year. 

IMG_1975.JPG.10dd619324bd0fcd6cbdb74c23c2c32d.JPG

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, Jessb said:

I know the guy personally, he is as honest as the day is long, so I don't doubt that's what he paid for it. I just wasn't sure if it was a bit steep.

:WRS:      If you value his friendship I would suggest you graciously step aside and look for another one. He has made some mistakes by not having the correct engine and may have overpaid for some items. These are not your problems and you should no be expected to pay for it. :twocents-02cents:  If you buy it that may harm your friendship and that is not worth it.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

...or, just make him a fair offer. :handgestures-thumbsup:

All he can do is say...no thank you.  

• Like 1

Ken B
18 hours ago, clueless said:

Yea, Steve, your right. some places in Connecticut, a fully restored 855, would go for twice that:handgestures-thumbupright:.

No body gets bent over quite like us guys in CT. do, and that is a well known fact. :D  As far as tractor prices go in CT.... There are a few guys in these parts that ask all the money but in most cases these particular sellers deal in mostly very mint and or rare machines. I think its the guys in the surrounding states to CT. that are  payin the price....

I think the up and coming tractors that everyone is gonna be after is the nice original square hoods. They are plentiful and still affordable. Mikes Horsebarn's 855 at 750.00 (maybe even a little less) is a great deal. It looks to be a very nice restoration... 

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, Ken B said:

No body gets bent over quite like us guys in CT. do, and that is a well known fact. :D  As far as tractor prices go in CT.... There are a few guys in these parts that ask all the money but in most cases these particular sellers deal in mostly very mint and or rare machines. I think its the guys in the surrounding states to CT. that are  payin the price....

I think the up and coming tractors that everyone is gonna be after is the nice original square hoods. They are plentiful and still affordable. Mikes Horsebarn's 855 at 750.00 (maybe even a little less) is a great deal. It looks to be a very nice restoration... 

I like to keep more tractors around now that are original paint rather than restore them these days. The 855 was an exception though......I wish I would have taken pictures of it before I restored it because it was pretty bad lol AND I might also take a little less than $750 for if i ever decide to sell it, but at this point it is one of my favorites!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

They had 3 horses like the one you are talking about.  The 605 was a Tecumseh pull start...the 655 was a Tecumseh electric start and the 855 which was a Kohler electric start.  To a collector, the 605 would be the one he would want, and probably the rarest and maybe worth that $750.  To a guy that is looking for a horse he can use and maybe take to shows, the 855 would be the one to buy.  There is nothing wrong with a Tecumseh (really) except it is becoming very hard ...make that extremely hard and expensive to find parts.  That is making guys start to shy away from Tecumsehs.  Kohler parts and spare engines are all over the place.  If it is a true 605, there should be a model number on the tower about as high as the shifter.  The model number might look like T-605.  :think:

• Like 4