Wingra

244-H Shift lever will not move to reverse

Wingra

The shift lever on my 244-H will not move to the reverse position. It moves to the forward position and neutral position just fine. Also, I can push the tractor backwards manually. I would appreciate any suggestions about how to fix this problem. Thanks.

Achto

:WRS:  Good to see another WI member. I'm not familiar with that tranny but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Edited by Achto

WHX??

:WRS:

Yes can always use another WI member help to gang up on those MN boys! Where abouts in WI are you located?

That is a vertical shafted late model with an Onan engine I believe. Transaxle is going to be a Peerless I think. Should have under the wheel  motion control if I remember that right.  Other than that can't be much more of a help Winger. I have one in my  tractor boneyard that I rescued from another boneyard just for parts or to make a who knows what out of someday. Figured springs, idlers or hardware might come in handy some day

Upper right hand corner type in 244H in the search box, select files and hit go. You will find the manuals there as well as other good info on the tractor. It might be just as simple as binding linkage or top of hydro adjustment.

If you need parts by chance give me a shout. The 244 I have has a seized motor but a good deck under it I know I'll never use.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Best to determine exactly what model you have. Should be a decal under the seat with the model and serial number on it. Will be one of these.

Toro Master PartsViewer Model Search Advanced Search Help
 Matches Found: 3
Model # Serial Range Year Product Name Links
22-14OE01 1000001
-
1991 244-H Yard Tractor
Assembly Drawings
Product Details
Attachments and Accessories
22-14OE02 2000001
-
1992 244-H Yard Tractor
Assembly Drawings
Product Details
72041 3900001
-
1993 244-H Yard Tractor
Assembly Drawings
Product Details
spacer.gif
Search Criteria:Go Back
Model Number/Product Name  =  244-h
spacer.gif

Garry

• Like 1

Wingra

Thanks for the replies.

gwest: the model is 22-14OE01

Achto: I live in Dane County

WHX12: Thanks for the info about parts. Some of them are now obsolete and discontinued.

gwest_ca

Tried to find manuals that cover your problem but the operator manual has the most info but not on this problem.

Noticed the control handle needs to be pushed down to get to reverse but you likely know that.

Don't know anything about this lawn tractor but the garden tractors can get enough grass clippings from the mower to bind up the shift linkage. Wonder if that is your problem? May be time to lift the rear fender pan and get a good look at the linkage.

2-page service bulletin

Your transmission is the 750 Eaton but manual does not address the shift linkage

May be helpful - 8 pages

Garry

Wingra

After dinner I decided to do some initial checking and found the problem immediately. The 2-3 inch bar that sticks out of the shifting rod was hitting the battery. I moved the battery forward, tightened it down well and the shifting lever works just fine.

Thanks for your replies.

gwest, that's a good idea. I cleaned out quite a bit of grass that was behind the gas tank. There may be quite a bit more.

Achto

Glad that it was an easy fix.

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: