blake616

pin holes in 48" deck

blake616

I just noticed 3 pin holes and a scrap in my 48" side discharge deck. I bought the deck used and it has work extremely well for the last 12 years.

I need advice on how to fix this? I know these decks are in high demand, so I would prefer to have this fixed and get another 10-12 years out of it. I always clean it after each mowing to ensure the deck lasts.

IMG_1099.JPG

cschannuth

JB Weld will last forever. Clean to bare metal in the affected area.  Put a piece of painters tape on one side and spread a thin layer of JB on the other side. Once the Weld sets you can flip it, remove the tape and put a thin layer of Weld on the side where the tape was. Sand or file smooth and paint. That JB will be there long after the deck has disinigrated.  

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

This stuff really seals against further rusting. I used it under a deck last year and it is still in place and glossy. The aluminum color costs more, but is resistant to sunlight. i used the cheaper black color under the deck.  The better the prep, the better the job, but tight rust is OK.  i would still use the JB Weld on the pin holes.

The directions on the can state that you must apply a finish coat of paint within a certain time period if you choose to topcoat the agri-guard. They ain't kiddin ! the stuff dries so hard and glossy that it will not let the new paint adhere after a certain time has passed. If you choose to apply a second coat of agri-guard, the same recoat time limit applies as well.

i put two coats on the underside of the deck. Well worth the time and money

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Even solder will work. 

• Like 1

drewd

I brazed holes in an old deck in an old deck I had.  I built up the material around the holes to add strength to the area and it worked fine and lasted several more years until the entire deck got too thin to repair. 

DennisThornton

Brazing would be my first choice but not everyone has a torch hot enough.  A cheap propane torch can solder fine. Got to be clean & rust free though to solder. 

WVHillbilly520H

Spot welding with a MIG welder has worked for me, then grind down smooth, Jeff.

cleat

One of my 48" decks had several pin holes that were fixed up with a TIG welder.

Problem is the metal is thin around the hole so the first thing that happens is the hole blows out much larger then needs to get filled back in.

Good thing is the thin metal is gone, bad thing is that you will need to grind down the welded area as it will be a big bump.

• Like 1

JPWH

It looks like all the pinholes and the scrape are confined to a small area. If you choose to weld it I would suggest cutting the area of thin rusted metal out and weld in a patch plate. 

Tankman
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, DennisThornton said:

Even solder will work. 

Sounds like old auto body repair. I too vote solder 'n paint. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

tarcoleo

48" decks always corrode in the same place; rear left corner where
clips collect because airflow here is not sufficient to sweep the clips

clear, especially if mowing wet grass.  Therefore, after every mowing try

to clean that area particularly and the problem will be reduced.

-Tom

• Like 1