Evil Archer 300

I need some Input

Evil Archer 300

I recently purchased a 518-H with the Eaton 700. I am not happy with the Hydro. I know I can get a 1100 and change it. My question is . A 414-8 recently came up for sale cheap  with a bad Motor, I was wondering if with the 2 tractors I could build a 518-8. My property is very hilly. some spots 15 degree. I know the 8 speed would be fine on the hills. The Onnan on the 518 runs flawlessly. I s it possible to put the 8 speed in .

Wheel Horse 518.jpg

ericj

anything is possible and with the donor tractor you should have all of the parts you need. I was going to build something similar, but the project got put on the back burner for several years now. oh well someday i guess.

eric j

• Like 2

bds1984

I think it would be much easier to take the engine out of the 518 and put it in the 414. I see nothing wrong with doing this swap! 

• Like 4

Chris G

I thinks it's possible either way you went. With swapping rear end or motor. May have a minor amount of fab to do, but that's not a bad thing as long as the end result is what you want.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

The 418-8 would be my choice.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:          A few bolts, cables and wiring changes will be far easier than swapping the clutch,brake, transaxle.

• Like 3

N3PUY

Tear them both down,  and reassemble with the best parts of the two!:)

• Like 2

ericj

I would say swap wiring but, the 518 uses more gauges. once you strip the hydro linkage out of the 516 the manual linkage from the 414-8 will go right in the 518 chassis. there was a guy down at Berryville VA show that had done it to his 516. in the end it is your tractor, take your time and study both tractors and decide for your self witch way you think will be easier for you. we will be here to help and give advise, maybe some bad at times lol but here to help you the best that we all can. good luck

eric j 

• Like 3

Jerry77
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

A few bolts, cables and wiring changes will be far easier than swapping the clutch,brake, transaxle

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

Jerry77

Just a thought; you will need to use the drive pulley on the 14 horse motor for the onan -( different size - hydro vs manual tranny). not sure what belt size you would need then but swapping motors is the best way.... 

• Like 1