jeff lary

3-14-8 shift slot wire

jeff lary

On my tractor there are some heavy gauge wire / spring ? things in the gear shift slots ( the "H" pattern). They interfere with the shifter lever staying in the appropriate or /chosen gear. What are they ? and what pray tell is their purpose? they look to me like some engineers nightmare. Several times I move from reverse to 2nd and let out the clutch and no movement.... I look down and these " wire things?" have pushed the shifter rod back out of the 2nd gear position back in to the neutral position.

rmaynard

I've seen that spring in the parts list (99-8028), but never seen it in person.  I have heard that most guys remove them.

ericj

My 99 314-8 had one on it, and if I remember correctly, I was told that it was to keep the tractor from jumping out of gear, it may have only been for 3 rd gear, like I said before I don't remember anymore. I took mine off a long time ago. the dealer also replace my console plate, with the H pattern on it for the shifter becuase the ears were getting bent down. I think they ground one shorter so when you pulled it out of gear it didn't hit the ear in the middle.

eric j 

cschannuth

My 2000 had it. It made it difficult to shift. I removed it and now it shifts smooth as silk. I saved it in case I needed it later. 

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

My 2000 314-8 had 1 and I couldn't even get it in gear so I took it off and never had another problem with it. The engineer at that time must have transfered from John deere. Stupid design if you ask me.

• Like 5

jeff lary

Well I wanted to say brain fart but didn't want to offend any purists ha ha. I know on my 3-12 the movement between Lo and Hi is about 6  inches but on the 3-14 the movement is about 1 inch.

Also on another note does anyone know why my tractor drive belt is so grabby? The other day I was mowing and really trying to be careful but 2 times when I let out the clutch she leaped into the air and took off. I can tell you that on the 3-12 if you do that too often it will throw the drive belt. My 3-14 did throw the belt about 2 weeks ago while I just mowing along. It had not jerked or leaped at all,.... just straight ahead level mowing and it came off. I happened to be about 300 yards from my shop mowing the road edge between my son and I. It is such a PIA to put it back on ya know. When I got so I could see it, it ( the drive belt) appeared to be torn up something awful like it had jumped off 20 times . I really need a new belt and I will try to find one on the web but first I would like to know why it is so damn grabby. Maybe it is that way because it is in such rough condition?

rmaynard

I would make sure that the belt is fabric covered. Many guys say that the genuine Toro belt is the best, but I have never had a problem with Husky belts from TSC. Be sure that both the drive pulley on the engine and the transmission are clean and free from rust and corrosion. Also be sure that the idler pulley, arm, shaft, and all associated parts are in good shape. I found that if I played with the adjustment on the clutch rod, I could get a little more travel before engagement.

jeff lary

I will but I think I want a new belt in hand before I tear into it that way when I am done it will also have a new belt. Thanks for the advice.

Forest Road

I had those springs on a 2001 model. I believe they were meant to force the shifter to neutral when NOT IN GEAR. There's also a magnet mounted on the shifter below the springs. A safety switch senses neutral and permits you to start tractor. Those magnets are known for falling off. 

jeff lary

yes this is supposedly a 03 model I will have to take the shift plate off some day and look under to see what's what.