jellyghost

Kicking a D250

jellyghost

My favorite Wheel Horses are the C series, but there is an opportunity for me to get a D250 with a few issues.  I hope to see it this week, and I wanted some advice about kicking the tires.

It comes with a front blade, wheel weights, nice tires, and a rear pto driven mower.  It has a bad hydraulic hose and a bad coil.  It is a 1976.

If this was priced around 600, what would you need to know to check to see if it was a good buy?

953 nut

I don't have a "D 250" and can only go by what others on here have said. A bad hydraulic hose is a bad hydraulic hose no mater what it is on;  that is just deferred maintenance. When you say it has a bad coil it makes me wonder, is the motor running or is it a non runner and the seller said it just needs a coil? If it only needs a coil why wouldn't the seller invest a few dollars and ask a lot more for a good running unit?

:twocents-02cents:       Considering the fact that these are a stand alone unit and parts availability is questionable I would want to hear it run and drive it before adding it to my herd.

• Like 8

Pollack Pete

I've got two D-250's.One runs great.One is a parts machine..As long as you've got other running tractors,I'd buy it .All other Horses feel like a dwarf once you sit on a D-250..You have to be patient searching for parts.I think that's half the fun of this hobby.You'll get the crap that a d-250 isn't really a Wheel Horse.Well,they were sold by WH dealers,you could get parts and service at WH dealers.Got WH decals on them.Close enough for me.Kinda like saying if a Ford,GM,or Chrysler product was built overseas,they're really not a Ford,GM, or Chrysler..I always say there's 2 kinds of Wheel Horse collectors........those that have a D-250 and those that want a D-250.

• Like 6

jellyghost

I thought the price was pretty good, and I hope to get an answer about running condition today.  I also am considering buying a coil ($30) if it doesn't run, and seeing if it can be made to run before purchase.  

What else should I be checking?  This is a 1976, and people complaing about the transaxle.  Is there  a way to see fi fluids were changed?

DennisThornton

I'm leery of anything that doesn't work and I price with that concern but I've certainly got some great bargains on unknowns.  Burnt a time or two as well... But a non running hydro tractor leaves lots of unknowns and with an obscure and mostly unsupported model that goes double!   I'd be pricing on what it could do for me and not as a Wheel Horse collectible...

My 2 cents.  Oh, 3 cents...

• Like 4

Budfrogluv

I, too just jumped on the D-250 bandwagon lol. I say bandwagon but from the first time i laid eyes on one at the show in PA some years back, 12 year old me swore that i would own one before i die lol. So here i am with a $600 non running D-250 as well. No regrets either. If it takes work, time and money, then so be it. Plus it was right in my hometown here. No cross country venturing for this hoss

orca-image-1501099136305.jpg_1501099136867.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2