TonyToro

Raider 12 model 1-6231 no spark Help Please

TonyToro

I'm sure this has been covered before, I search but only found a few postings without replies. I just picked this up for my son who wants to try garden tractor pulls. The tractor is a Raider 12 model 1-6231 with Kohler  K301S spec number 47147B serial number C54764. I found a few posts with some diagnostics. I tried with the "M" wire off..no spark. I tried with the rectifier off...no spark. I tried with both "m" and rectifier off... No spark. I made sure the points gap was .020. 

This engine doesn't have a coil, just the Magneto under the flywheel. I don't want to start changing parts to find the problem. Is there a way to ohm or check continuity on any of these parts to see if they are still good? Any help would be appreciated. 

rmaynard

Try a new spark plug?

• Like 1

oldredrider

Could be a bad pick up coil at the flywheel. This is a test for the breakerlwss ignition, but may still apply to your engine.

Breakerless.JPG.b8555667984ad1dafce1940146b38660.JPG.dab9f7521ea8a3a59890134d44dc6333.JPG

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

You have the late 1968 production model that used magneto ignition with points and condenser

Polish the point contact surfaces with a point file or nail file and then clean them. They will develop an invisible layer of oxidation that prevents the contacts from making an electrical connection when they sit idle.

Bet it will roar to life.

Garry

• Like 3

TonyToro
44 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Try a new spark plug?

Thank you, but I tried that and I have a spark light on the wire.

36 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Could be a bad pick up coil at the flywheel. This is a test for the breakerlwss ignition, but may still apply to your engine.

Breakerless.JPG.b8555667984ad1dafce1940146b38660.JPG.dab9f7521ea8a3a59890134d44dc6333.JPG

Oh... Maybe. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

You have the late 1968 production model that used magneto ignition with points and condenser

Polish the point contact surfaces with a point file or nail fail and then clean them. They will develop an invisible layer of oxidation that prevents the contacts from making an electrical connection when they sit idle.

Garry

I didn't even think to clean them since when I took the cover off they looked like new. I will give that a try tomorrow.  Thank you. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Like 1

Thisguyisnew

Was there ever points and a condenser under the flywheel on these?

TonyToro
On August 6, 2017 at 8:18 PM, gwest_ca said:

Polish the point contact surfaces with a point file or nail fail and then clean them. They will develop an invisible layer of oxidation that prevents the contacts from making an electrical connection when they sit idle.

Garry

I didn't even think to clean them since when I took the cover off they looked like new. I will give that a try tomorrow.  Thank you. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It was raining today so I didn't do any testing. I did go to a repair shop and the owner is a wheelhorse enthusiast. I am bringing him my starter and the magneto to have them tested.

TonyToro

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone.

Good news update.... I have spark

installed a new starter today along with cleaning and setting the points and a new battery.

question... my feeler gauge is .018 and correct gap is supposed to be .020.  How critical is this difference? Should I go get another feeler gauge ?

WHX??

If you have the set there might be enough sizes to stack them to equal the .020. You.can also set it for a little "loose" .018.

• Like 1

TonyToro
On August 10, 2017 at 10:41 PM, WHX12 said:

If you have the set there might be enough sizes to stack them to equal the .020. You.can also set it for a little "loose" .018.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was at the power equipment shop earlier today and he said the same thing. 

I cleaned the points again today. I have much better spark. Now I think it's time to clean the carburetor. I got a few good sputters but no major ignition.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

TonyToro

Oh man you have to see my sons face. It idled!! He is thrilled!!

Now on I have to search out carburetor settings. I need a base to start from. I think it's all out of wack.

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

You can download the Kohler Service manual here in the manuals section

carb.JPG

TonyToro
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

You can download the Kohler Service manual here in the manuals section

carb.JPG

Thank you very much!

953 nut
2 hours ago, TonyToro said:

It idled!!

That is a great sign. You may be able to improve the carburetor performance by adding some Sea foam fuel additive to the tank. It could take a few tank fulls, but I have had good results. Also, be sure to use non-ethanol fuel. 

If you don't know where to find non-ethanol gas try these sites.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

https://www.pure-gas.org/

TonyToro
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

That is a great sign. You may be able to improve the carburetor performance by adding some Sea foam fuel additive to the tank. It could take a few tank fulls, but I have had good results. Also, be sure to use non-ethanol fuel. 

If you don't know where to find non-ethanol gas try these sites.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

https://www.pure-gas.org/

I didn't know about non-ethanol gas. I put 93 octane in it. I'll have to look for that. A friend was saying to run race gas. 

With all the helpful tips and tricks, the wheel horse now powers itself. My son is so happy! I think the carburetor still needs to be fine tuned but it idles very nice and runs on full throttle well. There is just a slight hesitation from idle to throttle up.

IMG_2366.MOV

• Excellent 1