Farmitall

B-100 Auto Wheel Horse fix it or part it out?

Farmitall

Hello Again, 

I have a 1974 Wheel Horse B-100 Automatic tractor that I'm not sure what to do with. It was given to me as a "Basket Case" tractor. the guy I got it from used it as his grass cutter until the transmission went up in it. The guy had manual transmission B-100 Wheel Horse that had a bad engine in it. So he took the engine out of the automatic tractor and put it into the manual transmission tractor. So the automatic tractor sat in pieces in his garage until he moved out of his house and he gave the tractor to me. Right now, the general frame of the tractor remains together while the engine sits on my workbench. I have no intentions of keeping it, But I was interested in knowing if it would be better to part it out or to fix it up and sell it as a complete tractor. The paint and sheet metal on the tractor is in excellent shape. If someone could give me their opinion on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.  

rjg854

I would think a running and driving tractor would be worth a lot more than a basket case tractor.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Farmitall

Yea. How much is a running and driving B-100 Automatic worth? 

Aldon

Totally dependent on locale and condition.

With a need for both engine and Hydro, I am guessing you will have more into the project than you will get out of it.

So it comes down to whether you want to tackle a project and want a tractor.

if yes, you will gain satisfaction and knowledge.

if not, part it out.

thats my opinion.

• Like 2

953 nut

If the engine needs to be rebuilt an off brand kit will set you back about $ 100 plus any other parts you'll need. If you value your time at all by the time you get done you will probably be lucky to break even.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

I sold my B-100 Automatic (running condition) near you (Windsor) this past spring at an auction for $350.   I was sorry I sold it, because it was a nice tractor.   I just had too many, and needed to thin the herd.   I hate parting out a Wheel Horse.    It's a lot of time and work.  Advertising, packing and shipping and collecting payment is time consuming.    Many guys part them out, and might do well on an individual part, but probably end up eating most of the parts.  Why not slap the engine back on, and if you can't get it running easily, sell it to a collector 'as is'.   Just my opinion.   If the paint and sheet metal are in good condition as you say, I'm sure there are dozens of collectors near you who would be willing finish the project.   You're in the middle of Wheel Horse collector country.

Good luck, Jim

• Like 4

Farmitall

Thanks everyone! I'll have to see about putting a little money in it to get it running. Or if it's too much of a pain in the butt, I'll just sell it at the Wheel Horse collectors club show next summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Since you do not have any money in it, why not donate it to the WHCC and see if they want to fix it for next years raffle tractor.  Someone here would know how to get a hold of someone at the WHCC to ask.  I think JimT's wife is on the board.  :think:

• Like 2

SPINJIM
On 8/7/2017 at 10:47 AM, Farmitall said:

Thanks everyone! I'll have to see about putting a little money in it to get it running. Or if it's too much of a pain in the butt, I'll just sell it at the Wheel Horse collectors club show next summer. 

Or, if you want it out of the way before this winter, take it to Dover's Old Tyme Days next week, and auction it.  You won't get as much for it (not running), but it will free up some space in your garage.    I'd bid on it.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM

Farmitall

I think i'll try to sell it at the WHCC show next year

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1