Farmitall

520 Wheel Horse Buy or pass?

Farmitall

Hey everyone! I'm looking at buying a 1987 520H Wheel horse. But i'm not sure if i should buy it. I haven't seen the tractor yet but the owner is an 84 year old man who ran it as his grass cutter until the the transmission "broke". I assumed that he was the original owner and it might be in pretty good shape. He wants $225 for it. If someone could give me their opinion on it, I'd appreciate it. 

• Like 4

c-series don

I would say if it runs good, the engine alone is probably worth that. We need pics!!! 

• Like 1

Farmitall

Ok. I wish I had pics :text-imsorry: Should I try to talk him down on his price of $225? 

gwest_ca

The first 520 was a 1988 model released in late 1987.

Garry

• Like 1

SPINJIM

How many hours on the engine ?   Replacement Eaton transmissions are available on ebay, etc. 

Jim

ericj

if you don't want it I would be interested in it for that price, and if you do buy it i might have a trans or parts to fix the one in it, good luck

eric j

• Like 1

WHX??

That broke transmission could mean a lot of things including just low on oil or even just a bad belt or adjustment. You need to go look at to check it out. We need a little more info to advise advise to buy or not. A tractor that doesn't move or run is a bargaining point. One thing for sure is it won't be around for long....guys like Eric & Jim know out to fix them. :lol:

• Like 1

Farmitall

Thanks everyone! I'm sure i'll be asking more questions about it. I don't know much about these late model wheel horses. I'm more into 60's and 70's Wheel Horses. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

ericj

updates ???

eric j

DennisThornton

$225 starting means I would own it as soon as I could. Sight unseen. Parts alone! 

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 2

richmondred01

I've got a perfect eaton 1100 transmission for that tractor. Just make the swap. 

Tractor boy

does it come with any attachments? Because if it does that's a steal for any :wh:. I paid $200 for my 312 with a plow and blower. But that's just my :twocents-02cents:!

• Like 1

Farmitall

Im goin to look at it next monday. They tell me it is in excellent shape. I'll be sure to let you know if I buy it or not

ericj
2 hours ago, Farmitall said:

Im goin to look at it next monday. They tell me it is in excellent shape. I'll be sure to let you know if I buy it or not

if you don't I call dibs !!!!, i wouldn't wait till Monday, no time like the present lol

eric j

Farmitall

Hey everyone, 

Sorry I had taken so long to give an update on my 520H. Been busy. :text-imsorry:  I ended up buying the tractor on 8/14/2017.  It was not in as good of shape as described to me, but i got a steal on it. I talked him from $225 to $100. It indeed did have a broken axle on the left side. But on the bright side, I bought it from the original owner, an 82 year old man who bought the tractor new in 1986 with a 48 inch mower deck and factory wheel horse hub caps. It has 1,146.8 hours and runs great. But now I need to find the correct axles to fit this tractor.  I got a couple of spec numbers of the tractor.  Stamped into the transmission was 111201 with a 9A below it. The tractor ID number on it is 4120OE01 10261 It has a 20hp twin cylinder Onan engine in it. I attached pictures below if anyone is interested. If anyone has any info I can use, I'd appreciate it. :thanks:   

IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

• Like 2

Searcher60

I thought the 87 520 had the motion lever on the console, not the column????  

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: '88 was the first year of 520 production...

& yes, motion lever on that model is located in its console. 

WVHillbilly520H

Here's the serial # decoder...1990...and '88 was the first year with '88 and '89 having the straight front axles...

Screenshot_20170909-212623.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Searcher60
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: '88 was the first year of 520 production...

& yes, motion lever on that model is located in its console. 

BESTDOGEVER

That's not an early 520 notice the Toro decals I think maybe mid 90's

Searcher60

He would have had a hard time buying that one new in '86 or '87. The freaking deck my be worth $400-500 bucks. 

gwest_ca

Garry

cleat

I bought an old Simplicity years ago with a broken axle.

I was able to order a new one through simplicity for a good price.

I would think someone would have an old rear end with a bad hydro but a good axle shaft for you.

You will need to split the case to replace it however, or just replace the whole rear end.

Farmitall

Hey there,

Thanks to WVHillbilly520H, I was able to figure out that the tractor was a 1990 model, not a 1986. :thanks: Is there any parts dealers that I could try to contact to see about a new axle shaft for the transmission? The number on the tractor is still 111201. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks

• Thanks 1

Searcher60

You would be better off buying a complete trans.