TRZ

I accidentally put a bleach soaked towel on my hood. Anyone know if there's a way to bring the color back or does it need to be repainted?

IMG_0813.JPG

• Sad 1

Terry M

If thats the actual paint that turned white and it doesn't sand or rub off....I'm thinking it will need new paint.     

BOB ELLISON

Bleach will destroy paint and you have a bad case of sand and repaint. At a place I worked at there was a pump with bleach and it removed the paint off every thing it got on. Only pvc pipes could take it. Metal pipes disintegrated over time

• Like 4

953 nut

:WRS:       When you take an item to a "Dip and Strip" pain removal place they use a sodium hydroxide solution which has a PH of 13.5 +/- to remove the paint. bleach has a PH of about 12.5 so I'm afraid you have no choice but stripping the rest of the paint and repainting it.

:text-imsorry:

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:  Unfortunately...

TRZ

I can't remember for sure but I was thinking it was bleach. His pic is from yesterday but I did this two years ago, and it doesn't seem to be ruining the paint itself other than the color. You can see where I tried a little polishing compound on it yesterday.

Daddy Don

paint:o

AMC RULES

:think: After two years?

Just neutralize the area first(1part vinegar to 2parts water)...

then, I'd just hit it with a Scotch Brite, tape around the perimeter...

& then, just re-shoot the top of it.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

SPINJIM

:text-yeahthat:

After you 'neutralize' the surface, mask off everything below the top of the decals. Sand it with fine grit sandpaper, and then spray it with red primer. Then one or two coats of Regal Red.   I've done that a couple times with hoods that had paint peeling on just the top.   If you apply masking tape carefully, it comes out like new.  Just protect the expensive decals.

Jm

• Like 2

TRZ

Looks like I'll be painting!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Let us know here, how it turns out.  :popcorn:

clueless

The original paint color is still available in spray can, New Toro Red, google it.  

• Like 2

Tgtack

The bleach will have etched into the paint all the way to the metal. You will need to take it down to bare metal, neutralize it as previously mentioned, then treat it with some metal etch solution. Then you need to use a very good grade of primer sealer. If not you will likely run into adhesion problems and other strange reactions by the top coat.

Use something like this, Horseplay '13 704.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 2