Rough Cut

New to this. 704 questions.

Rough Cut

So I hope this is a safe place for a newbee. I purchased a 704 at a tractor show for me and my boys to restore. I've always wanted a steel seat round hood wheel horse. 

It has been sitting for over 10 years. I had it running in a little more than 30 minutes. The engine runs great. Went to put in gear and it ground the gears... a bunch... But I've been reading about the guides and tabs on the drive belt. I've decided to replace the drive belt. 

So what do I need to know about buying parts for a 53 year old machine. Google brings up parts for a Hoover vacuum. Guessing they are not interchangeable...lol.. 

I need the belt,  the lower roller guide and possibly the engine pulley itself as it is pitted real bad and giving extra grip. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square  :)  I take it you have a guard over the drive belt.  Cleaning the pulleys and wiping with mineral spirits might help.  Giving us some pictures of that area might help us more to maybe see what might be wrong.    :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Rough Cut

20170806_152134.jpg

20170806_152111.jpg

20170806_152058.jpg

20170806_152052.jpg

20170806_152040.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:WRS:

welcomewagon.gif.4ed543995b03672765bbf73f279963d3.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.26b8ef62c9cb083022d862a3b24aad52.png

• Like 1

Rough Cut

Thanks for the warm welcome. My boys are ecstatic about the new tractor. They only recently allowed Farmalls into their toy tractor collection that are almost all green. They think the wheel horse looks like a mini Farmall... They are 5 and 6...

• Like 1

JPWH

:WRS:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Here is your tractor operators manual...plus, a parts list.

Click on the red tab here to..."down load this file"...

then, from the drop down menu...click on the first file to open it. 

Original :wh: part # for the drive belt was #1576...

which means you're looking for a V-belt...1/2" X 70" in length.  

Ebay is one source...type in "Wheel Horse belt 1576" there...

or your local NAPA dealer should be able to get it. 

Probably will solve most of your shifting problems...

as the one you have now has definitely seen better days. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Molon_Labe

You should be able to polish that engine pulley with some crocus (emery) cloth. I love my old 704, I call it the yard tug, it moves everything around the house from my 5X10 trailer to the garden cart without a whimper.SAM_1867c.JPG.864f3bfe7983f129cdfcbdb92b1efe81.JPG

• Like 6

Rough Cut

I really like that. I saw one at a small engine shop when I was 8, I've wanted one ever since. That was 30 year ago. An old roommate of mine is into it pretty big. We went to see his tractor at a show yesterday and he had this one there and for sale!!! Gave me a phenomenal deal, or at least I feel it was.

stevasaurus

I would Emory all 3 pulleys until they shine...wipe with mineral spirits and then see what happens...might not need to buy a new belt.  Your guard looks good.  The guard has to be on to make the belt stop so you can shift.  The guard is your clutch.  Make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting.  Start out in the gear you want to use.  :)  You can also wipe the belt with mineral spirits...don't soak it...just wipe it clean.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Rough Cut
15 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I would Emory all 3 pulleys until they shine...wipe with mineral spirits and then see what happens...might not need to buy a new belt.  Your guard looks good.  The guard has to be on to make the belt stop so you can shift.  The guard is your clutch.  Make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting.  Start out in the gear you want to use.  :)  You can also wipe the belt with mineral spirits...don't soak it...just wipe it clean.

There is a pretty good chunk out of the belt already. I need to get the pedal extensions on for my boys and then start them out in gear. I was concerned it was something internal, but sounds like I'm on the right road... Thanks for your help.

I thought I saw a pic of a roller on another tractor. Back toward the trans axle. Can't find now... am I missing something on mine or maybe I saw some back yard ingenuity.

KC9KAS

@Rough Cut :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

N3PUY

The front of the belt guard is very important.

5987abb472c0c_20170806_152134.jpg.7838c43bd45d45db405be9a75a6f8c3a(1).jpg.b95b78dce022c84727ec12dd50c3d2aa.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You are not missing anything that I can see in the pictures.  The pulleys are correct for your horse.  They need to be shiny though...so they do not grab the belt.  The tension idler provides the tightness that the belt needs to drive the horse.  If you look, the belt is a touch wider then the groove in the pulleys...the belt is engineered to do this so when you step on the clutch pedal, the belt tension eases and the belt guard guides funnel the slack towards the engine pulley and the transmission input pulley stops so you can shift without grinding.  If you are missing a chunk of the belt, then replace it.  It is a special belt...I would get one from TORO.  It may cost a little more, but it is the correct belt and will last you a long time.  :)