daveoman1966

DAMAGE to Kohler STARTERS

daveoman1966

A friend says "Dave, my starter quit"...  so I gave him a replacement, thinking I could rebuild his dead one.  Well, I gotta tell ya.... it is beyond DEAD.  

Here is every reason why to NEVER HIT WITH A HAMMER.....

The armature in this would NOT turn at all...stuck tight and he wondered why it didn't work.  

So... TO EVERYONE..... DON'T HAMMER IT....

If it quits, take it off and fix it....or buy a replacemment 

starter (3).JPG

starter (1).JPG

starter (11).JPG

starter (7).JPG

• Like 7

pfrederi

Looks like he used a BFH

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Two of 'em.  :blink:

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:, the other day I was in an auto parts store and overheard this age old advice being given! Got to the parking lot in time to hear the loud smack and the cursing that followed when it didn't start. I have also seen this bad advice given on this site, but it is promptly rebuked as a rule.

:text-goodpost:

• Like 5

Big_Red_Fred

That took a can of Spinach ! Popeye

• Like 1

Sarge

A tap with a block of wood will jar a corroded set of brushes enough to make it work - if it doesn't you're at the point of taking it off and either fixing it or replacing it . Steel headed hammers and their operators have no idea how brittle those magnets are - until they learn how much that error is going to cost them . I've seen that with the huge starters on diesel trucks - none of which are fun to remove/repair/replace and core charges can hit north of $800 in a hurry if you bust the field magnets . Had one guy do it twice , to the same Kenworth - only to find out later it was a $20 relay that was the issue ....boy, was he mad , lol...

Sarge

• Like 5

6bg6ga

Hammers and starters don't get along. Anyone using  hammer probably needs to have their head examined. If it don't start hitting it can case a great deal of damage. The thought that a hammer hit can some how cause brushes to make contact is probably along the line of a miracle. It ain't going to happen. Simply remove and repair it.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

10-4 on the KW's, i watched the younger Mechanic's many times, they'd say shut up old man, i know my job, id laugh, say ok Super Boy, an hour later when they broke their last 12 point socket, hey Pap, can i use your socket, id smile & say you know it all, call Snap on, ahhhh no0624171213.jpg.52133a7aac59829d67ce3a0da23f04cc.jpg

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

I've got a c160 it's my parts tractor and I tried to start it but the starter wouldn't do anything.  I removed the starter and one of the magnets has a broken piece . I suspected the PO hit it .it's not even fixable with out another case. I did hit starters on cars when i was young for not starting . But I was young and I knew it all.

• Like 4

Sarge

The first time I walked out and had a hammer in my hand , neighbor in the driver's seat holding the key switch my old man saw that and gave one warning - you hit that starter with a steel hammer - I'll use it on you next ....I've never done it since but use a block of wood . If it doesn't go with a tap to get it to the shop to repair it , well , it gets fixed as it sits or pull-started if possible . If you ever take those magnets out and drop one on the floor - it makes a lot of little pieces...don't ask how I know that one , lol . I keep old mower starters around just to rob their magnets to repair ones that someone has smacked - it's tricky to get the glue broken loose but it can be done .

Sarge

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

@BOB ELLISON is this no name a C160 ? Eric J thinks so by the hood and dash :text-offtopic:  I found it in some ones back yard, he wanted 800, gave a offer, still waiting, it dont runIMG_02881.jpg.4b14ed7306431a0cdda9f1fb10fcccc8.jpg

daveoman1966

That is not a C-160.  Morel likely a C-161, if it has a 16hp engine that is.  A c-160 looks like this>

16 AUTO (3).JPG

16 AUTO.JPG

16 AUTO (8).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

@daveoman1966  Thanks Dave, without any badge, i get lost, i should of snaped the serial number, i'm gonna call him today, 3 implements go with it, 

ericj

If I said that was a C160, I'm sorry, It looks more like a C161 I'd say that it is a 77, 78, 79, C161  the model and serial # plate should be on the lift handle side of tractor facing the motor, kinda on the edge of the sheet metal

eric j

• Like 1

rmaynard

C-161 would be 1978 or 1979. C-160 ran through 1977. You can easily tell by design of the dash tower (hood stand).

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

@ericj My mistake eric, you did tell me its a 161, old age & over worked, Sorry Buddy

BOB ELLISON

@Big_Red_Fred this is a C160 hydro. the regulator sticks out the dash tower. 

20161124_121044.jpg

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

10-4 Bob, now i got you all, Thanks, 

Sarge

'73 no-name 16 Auto had the hydro control between your legs , '74 and later it was moved back to the side of the dash stand . The first one in the pic is an 8spd hi/low version manual transmission .

Sarge