Phil902

New, need help with C-161 brake linkage part ID

Phil902

For my first attempt at a tractor refurb, I've been gifted a 1979 C-161 Twin Auto. After a fuel tank bushing replacement and some carb TLC,  it runs and drives if I jump from the battery straight to the starter. I'll have to figure the electrical out because there are a million crimp connectors that I'm sure aren't factory, as well as two jumped safety switches. First though, I need to get it down the hill to my "shop" where I can work literally under a shade tree, with tools at hand, BUT it has no brakes, and there's a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the hill, and a lake if I miss the turn....There is a flat pivoting spring-loaded bar attached to the linkage rod from the brake pedal. It appears there should be another rod attaching the flat bar to the brake band, which at present is badly rusted bare metal. I've downloaded a service manual covering B, C, and D series tractors, but it doesn't help. Can anyone give me the nomenclature for this part ?

Also, my ID plate is either worn or poorly struck.....it  reads 91-16BSC (which I've figured out from a posting in the manuals section here is actually a zero) then a blank space, where I assume either a 1 or a 2 should be. From that same posting, it appears that models ending in 1 or 2 are identical in every other respect....true?

I've also read a great many other posts here, which have been extremely helpful in other areas, and will be a great asset as I proceed to get this old horse in shape.

Thanks.

Phil O'D

• Like 1

tunahead72

Hi Phil, and welcome aboard!

If you're familiar with the manuals available here on RedSquare, try looking for a parts manual for your tractor.  If we have one (we probably do), it's probably listed as an IPL (Integrated Parts List).

• Like 1

Lee1977

This is a C-120 but all the 8 speeds are simular or  the same. I have 312-8 it look the same as the C-120. It's a 3/8" rod with a 90 degree bend at the top and another bend to clear the brake drum and treaded on the end for adjustment.

SAM_0313.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The last 2 digits of the model number back in the day were the parts list identifier which indicates something was different but often hard to determine what it was.

This 02 parts list for the C-161 Twin Auto is the only original one we have 

Here is a poor list for the 01

Garry

• Like 1

Phil902

Thank you all. Garry that IPL is exactly what I was looking for. I must have skipped right over it when I scrolled through all the manuals here. After seeing the missing rear brake rod, it looks like I might be able to fabricate one.

A lot of steel trees will probably die in the process.  Lee1977, they aren't configured the same, but your photo gave me enough understanding of the mechanics so that I could probably have done a fabrication from it.

Now to order a brake lining and get to cleaning the drum and band.

Thank you all again, and I'm sure I'll be back for more help.

Phil O'D

• Like 1