FatJackDurham

GT-14 opening the transmission case

FatJackDurham

As long as I have the tractor up on jack stands anyway, I was considering opening the transmission case to remove and weld up the parking brake lever. is this likely to be a nightmare? I mean, will all the shafts and gears stay in place, and all I have to do is open it, fix the part, replace the gasket and close it? I was looking at the diagram, and I couldn't tell if I tilted the tracter over, if everything would stay in place. I think someone here showed me a picture of this repair. 

I just found a post where Paul says you can remove the hydraulic pump and get to the pawl. Anything I need to know about removing the hydraulic pump? I have a full rebuild gasket kit already.

Aldon

The answer is maybe.

The shafts insert into capped needle bearings.

Except the axles. And depending on how well you clean up the axles you may be able to remove the housing without additional rubber mallet assistance.

the good news is that the transaxle is less challenging to put back together than the 8 speed. In my opinion.

the smaller shaft and gear set up towards front is actually 5 pieces. 1 shaft, 2 woodruff keys and 2 gears. Easy as long as you don't lose the keys.

IMG_1095.JPG.367e902b493a95c57ad3c975801ccfa1.JPGIMG_1096.JPG.4ed4389fc05bec07708b729e3f8c063c.JPG

• Like 4

953 nut

This post by @meadowfield and the one by @Aldon are the most comprehensive GT-14 post you will find, save them to a thumb drive and refer to them prior to working on yours. They are required reading!  :ychain:

• Like 3

19richie66

Aldon's workbench with that reflective background looks like a NASA lab.:laughing-rolling:

• Like 4

Aldon
16 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Aldon's workbench with that reflective background looks like a NASA lab.:laughing-rolling:

Sounds a lot better than a dark hole in an unfinished basement! :blink:

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

FatJackDurham

Thanks!

I will be talking to Paul tonight about this. I'm going to try to pull the pawl out without having to crack the case. If it doesn't sound like I can, then I will bag the effort for the short term. I have other things that need to be done.

Aldon

It is doable. A bit tedious but not difficult.

@pfrederi can explain it via phone.

Although I myself have avoided but now having seen the inside and accessibility I would not hesitate.

I imagine you will pull hydro gear. Can't see doing it otherwise. This gives you added benefit of being able to pull and clean the metal screen filter. Inspect for large metal debris. The damage to your pawl may have left you with a schrapnel time bomb that could shred the pump.

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Don't know if this is appropriate or not

Garry

FatJackDurham

Thanks. I decided to bag the idea of fixing the parking brake this year. Next year I want to rebuild the hydro pump and tranny, I'll do it then.