Docwheelhorse

Is there an electrical guru in the house?

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

Im posting this here because its electrical... no its not related to W.H. so if mods move or kill it I understand...

Long story short my best friend passed, his family gave me his boat. Went to get it running and no crank...

Found this relay being used as starter assist --the voltage drops too much in 25' boat harness and starter solenoid wont kick in. So these relays are put in so when you turn key they activate and have a heavy guage wire that throws plenty of juice to starter solenoid. 

I got a replacement but the 4 terminals arent labled... I think its generic to all 4 post relays. But does anybody know for sure? The stupid relay is NLA and hard to find.

I have 10 ga +12 volts, Ground, key switch power in to activate and finally the heavy wire going to starter... just dont know where each belongs.

Thanks

Tony

20170802_184808.jpg

20170802_184805.jpg

JPWH

You should have a coil that will  show resistance with an ohm meter across 2 terminals this should be from the switch. and the other 2 terminals should read open for the battery to starter.

Is there a diagram on one side? There should be numbers at the terminals.

• Like 4

953 nut

It has a standard "Molex" socket that will only allow it to be inserted in the proper orientation. Goof proof unless some one has cobbled the wiring. You can get one at any good auto supply store for about $ 7.00.

• Like 3

Docwheelhorse

Well, I wouldnt say "cobled"... boats original plug rotted and wiring ends replaced with high quality sealed 1/4 female terminals . So... does anybody know pinout for "standard molex connector" 

953 nut

Terminals numbered 85 and 86 will be the coil, the other two are the switched terminals. One of them will go to ground and the other will be switched by the ignition switch. Since you don't have a socket to plug it into I would suggest you buy a relay and compatible pigtail socket. Any 30 amp single pole 12 volt relay will work for you.

• Like 4

Docwheelhorse

Thanks for info, I did notice several wiring diagrams that had 85, 86, 87 on them... but wouldnt you know there no numbers or anything on the relay😣

• Like 1

953 nut

Any new relay will have a diagram printed on it.

• Like 4

Docwheelhorse

Hi, I received 2 of this exact relay... both in sealed packages. No schematic anywhere... wanted to think it would be universal wiring. Guess Ill contact company and see if they will tell me... or... I found a dorman relay with 4 posts and a schematic.

Siggghh why isnt anything easy.

Tony

JPWH

Going by your description it appears you have 12 volts controlled by the switch. You should have 4 wires for this scinerio. Some relays share the 12 volt power and the coil is activated by closing the ground through the switch this scenario would only require 3 wires.

• Like 1

squonk

You also could achieve the same result with a four post Ford style starter solenoid. 

• Like 2

953 nut

You could just conduct a little experiment, take two wires with spade connectors on them that will fir the relay. Connect one wire to the "+" terminal of a 12 volt battery and the other to the "-" terminal of the same battery. Now systematically place the "-" terminal on one of the posts and touch the "+" terminal to each of the other posts. If you hear a click the two posts that produced the click are the 85 and 86 posts. If there is no click then randomly select another post for the "-" and repeat the process; may have to do this up to three times. If you don't get a click by the third time the coil in the relay is probably shot!

• Like 3

N3PUY

Take the relay apart .... remove the cover .... see what terminals do what.

Hook it up.

replace cover.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Here in Canada are relays and sockets that are easily available. Princess Auto is similar to Harbour Freight or Northern Tools.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/30a-relay-socket/A-p8080376e

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/30a-12v-dc-change-over-relay/A-p8402034e

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/30-40a-12v-dc-change-over-relay-with-5-wire-socket/A-p8402042e

These are the same as the ones used on the later tractor models

Garry

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Those relays are common on many cars. Go to a pull your own part junkyard and grab a handful with the sockets attached 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

Rob XC700

I did a search for your relay. Go to this Honda forum. http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f13/bumper-light-conversion-yay-145446/

Scroll down "WaLLeYeMan", This looks like the layout of your relay. The connector shell has been cut away, but the terminal layout looks the same. Connect them like 953 nut suggests. and see if it works.

Most relays are all laid out the same way. Typically with the numbers on them, and one terminal turned sideways (87). But, not yours, so this one may match yours.

You can also do as JPWH suggests and use this diagram to test terminals with an OHM meter.

Edited by Rob XC700
  • Like 1