tallen4392

shifter knob

tallen4392

Anyone  have any tips to remove the shifter knob off of a c series tractor will not move ..... thanks

thanks i found some info on here i can try

daveoman1966

Maybe a STRAP WRENCH.  or.... wrap several rounds of good DUCT TAPE ...the large Channellock pliers.....so you can get a good grip, without breaking the shift knob.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

leather strips wrapped around the know will keep it from getting scratched...then use channel locks.  :)

• Like 1

953 nut
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

leather strips wrapped around the know will keep it from getting scratched...then use channel locks.  :)

I would suggest you use a small pipe wrench on the shift lever while you are turning the shift knob; pulling the two toward each other so the shift lever isn't being torqued. 

• Like 7

tallen4392

I found a nice way to help remove those shifter knobs I took 1/8 inch drill bit drilled a small hole through the center of the knob and kept letting penetrate oil seep through after a while a rag and channel locks came right off I drilled until I hit metal then put a new decal on the knob to cover the hole if it bothers you

• Like 1

GlenPettit

"Expansion-Contraction":

Much easier to let physics work with us, remove when it's cool (early morning), 

or cool down the knob & lever somehow,  and using the above suggestions.

The insert that is inside the knob ball is probably Brass, which helps hold it

on the shift lever, but a slow steady turning force should allow it to loosen/give.

Good Luck,   :)

• Like 2