ohiofarmer

Dog proof racoon trap

ohiofarmer

I had something trying to dig under the barn at the back of the barn. I had previously bought one of these traps on sale and decided to use it. It is very easy to set with a big screwdriver for leverage. I set the trap, put chunks of very well done [to give off more odor] hot dog inside just enough to cover the trigger, and placed a few chunks around and on top of the trap..https://www.ruralking.com/duke-dog-proof-raccoon-trap-510.html

Caught a big 'Possum the first night.   I did a little research and found out that that this trap [the Z-Trap] will catch critters whether they are pushing in or trying to pull the bait out. The draw back for coon trappers is catching more 'possum and the occasional skunk .    if all you want to catch are coons, the Duke brand will exclude more 'possum and skunk

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 5

953 nut

I had a raccoon that was coming in the house through the pet door. Trapped him in the house but he knew how to open the trap. Frustrated by this I put some peanut butter in the bottom of an open 55 gallon steel drum and provided a ramp for their convenience. Each morning for a couple of weeks I would find one or more unhappy raccoons in the drum. I would put the lid on and load it in the pick up and head toward work. About half way (six miles) I would stop, unload and roll the drum and let the dizzy critters go. Finally the one that had been coming in the house was no longer showing up so I terminated the coon relocation policy.

• Like 5

ohiofarmer

It is illegal to remove a trapped racoon from the property in my state. In some locations it is also illegal to discharge a firearm. What I would never do is relocate a live racoon, because you just made it someone else's problem.  I have asked law enforcement and also game wardens about this and they pretty much are "Be discreet"

So I am.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

In Pennsylvania, we believe in Gun Control.    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at.   If I didn't have good gun control, I'd be over run with groundhogs, squirrels, and rabbits.    I think the advise to "Be Discreet" is great.    But I definitely wouldn't release them on someone else's property.    God gave us dominion over the animals, and when they try to move into my home or pole barn, they have to be eliminated.   

• Like 3

GlenPettit

In rural Michigan it's the "S" Rule:   Shoot, Shovel & Shut-up

(using sub-sonic 22 shells, neighbors will not notice or are bothered by just one shot).

Glen

• Like 5

little red riding horse

Have had serious mole problem this year...trouble with traps they're not fussy what they catch... P1000859.jpg.5e363c7d2fd110c22f6591bfce05ea0e.jpg

If id left it another day the weasel would of taken care of this mole...used to love watching the weasel run about the place...

people really dont appreciate the damage moles do

• Like 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

It is illegal to remove a trapped racoon from the property in my state. In some locations it is also illegal to discharge a firearm. What I would never do is relocate a live racoon, because you just made it someone else's problem.  I have asked law enforcement and also game wardens about this and they pretty much are "Be discreet"

So I am.

I failed to mention that I was employer by a large agricultural concern and I was relocating them to cattle pastures, not a home for miles.

• Like 1

r356c

It's Florida. Mosquito's are expected.

This year has my wife complaining. It's nuke them from orbit time.

The propane thermal fogger is fun but just annoys them. No residual action pesticides are available for the thermal foggers.

It seems to be handy for smoking out rats in the UK for some ratter dog hunting fun.

(Rats burrow in the UK!!??  :-o)

I am proud of the MacGyver cold fogger. A $5.00 Walmart one gallon sprayer with the nozzle extended with a piece of found tubing to the outlet of a long forgotten weed eater leaf blower.

The trigger for the bug juice in the left hand and  the blower in the right. Dense foliage is no problem to reach into with the bug juice.

As my wife is fond of reminding me... "Happy wife, happy life."

Mosquitto.jpg

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
16 hours ago, little red riding horse said:

Have had serious mole problem this year...trouble with traps they're not fussy what they catch... P1000859.jpg.5e363c7d2fd110c22f6591bfce05ea0e.jpg

If id left it another day the weasel would of taken care of this mole...used to love watching the weasel run about the place...

people really dont appreciate the damage moles do

That trap looks interesting and effective. As far as I know, no one sells them in the States. Maybe you could supply some info as to the manufacturer?

little red riding horse

Hi , the tunnel trap is the best trap iv'e used.... and iv'e tried all of them including the gassing job with the exhaust from the tractor !  i found some on feebay in the USA here is a link , ifyou decide to try them and need some pointers let me know :) 

Phil

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

So six weeks later, it is 2 possums, 2 racoons,a skunk [what fun] and a non-target species of which appear sometimes when people from town dump them.

I did some research and came up with a bait which should exclude the non-target species.  Fry a skillet of bacon and save the grease. Use the hot grease to melt in some chunky peanut butter To this add some dry rolled oats. Add some sorghum Add mini marshmallows if you have them.[I did not} Add a touch of vanilla. Keep stirring

I did not have mini marshmallows, so i added a few Tbsb of water and nuked it in the microwave to cook the rolled oats a bit, 20 seconds and repeated until it was getting pretty thick.It finally took a half slice of bread to get the mix right The mix came out real nice and would roll into balls, but crumbly enough to not glue the trap shut.   I suppose that the stuff could be baked in the oven, but i think it will work fine as it is

These traps are awesome. You could bait them with well cooked hot dogs and catch one a week or ten days later.. Cat catches are rare, but because hot dogs can result in catches, i included a change in the bait used. We will see how it works out

Do not be cruel. Run your traps first thing in the morning. If you are an old man like me, you might even check them at midnite pee break

Edited by ohiofarmer

ohiofarmer
On 8/3/2017 at 12:21 PM, little red riding horse said:

Hi , the tunnel trap is the best trap iv'e used.... and iv'e tried all of them including the gassing job with the exhaust from the tractor !  i found some on feebay in the USA here is a link , ifyou decide to try them and need some pointers let me know :) 

Phil

Great that those mole traps are available in the USA. The price of them is outstanding vs. the ones we see for sale over here