Govlarry dale

What color

Govlarry dale

Hi guys, what color is paint for a wheel horse? And where can i get it? I also want to buy some decals...any ideas...

Thanks

Larry

AMC RULES

oliver2-44

Rustoleum regal red is also a favorite.

PS the tractor Supply "Majic" brand paints don't have a good track record around here.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I used regal red on my last job with gray primer. But the next time I'm going to use red primer with regal red it's make it a little deeper red.

• Like 4

Govlarry dale

WOW....THATS A LOT OF INFO.....NOW THAT MY EYES A BLEEDING.....thanks guys ill post pictures soon and see who can pick out my choices (right or wrong)....thanks everybody 

KC9KAS

@Govlarry dale Interesting enough....it is your tractor and if you are happy with the color you use, that is all that matters....unless you are married!

• Like 6

Govlarry dale

Good point

rmaynard

The term "Wheel Horse Red" is quite ambiguous. The Ponds liked a variation of International Harvester Red for their early tractors. Through the years, many different paint suppliers provided their formulas for WH Red, each one slightly different than the next. Most of the early tractors were painted without primer which will produce a different look to the top coat than one with primer. We have seen that some Wheel Horses appeared to have had a yellow primer. The color of the primer made the top coat appear lighter or darker. So find something that looks good and as long as it's red, and it's on a Wheel Horse, it's Wheel Horse Red.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 9

Electro12WH

Ummmh . . . . .  might I suggest adding a little  Metal Flake?

• Like 2

WHX??
24 minutes ago, Electro12WH said:

might I suggest adding a little  Metal Flake?

Seriously.... my wife wants me to paint the 702 in candy apple red but she can't decide gold or silver metal flake! :lol:

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I lean towards the purist side, preferring restorations to be original but candy apple red sure appeals to me in a big way!  Done well that would be awesome!  Got to be flawless though or you'll see each & everyone! 

Elkskin's mower junkyard

on the 502 i used the brown primer. i use that primar on everything. and i used regal red

19025193_1435211226517200_4659200972247992329_o.jpg

0601171827-02.jpg

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1

rmaynard
2 hours ago, Electro12WH said:

Ummmh . . . . .  might I suggest adding a little  Metal Flake?

Don't laugh. There was a whole "family" of metal flake candy apple red Wheel Horses at the show this year.

• Like 3

WHX??

Its been said here before Gov the correct red is like throwing hand grenades ...just get it close! :lol:

Govlarry dale

Metal flake....thats funny. If it takes more than a spray bomb im probably not qualified :ROTF: