FatJackDurham

GT-14 hard to steer

FatJackDurham

Still waiting for my valve sleeve before I can finish the transmission, but I thought I'd ask. My GT-14 is VERY hard to steer. Up on jack stands, I can feel it cogging a little when I turn the wheel. Any insights on what needs to be fixed there? I think it's in the sort of pinion arrangement, couldn't see it very well, lots of stuff in the way. The former owner added a grease fitting to the shaft, probably thinking it needed grease, but I think the mechanism is binding, or, if there are bearings in there, maybe they are bad?

953 nut

Check out this post, 416 steering is basically the same as your GT-14.

This one has some info. you can use too.

Aldon

The following assumes it's up on jack stands. There are grease fittings on the steering column. If your greased properly, I'd detach the ball joint that connects to fan gear. That will allow you to test ease to turn steering wheel and move fan gear. If that's easy, make sure the link below won't catch on anything and physically turn one of the front tires. This will allow you to feel if there is undo friction or resistance of the front ball joints. If the steering is greased and ball joints are in good shape you should be able to steer rather easily. I have 5 ribs on mine which might make it a bit easier but I can steer with one finger

Edited by Aldon

Aldon

There is a grease fitting on fan gear also

FatJackDurham

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Aldon

The front Spindles have grease fitttings too. By the way, if it's determined you need to replace them, the two ball joints at front are really rare. Our vendor @wheelhorseman sells a ball joint that will work with only slight drilling out of the connection point on spindle.

FatJackDurham
3 hours ago, Aldon said:

The front Spindles have grease fitttings too. By the way, if it's determined you need to replace them, the two ball joints at front are really rare. Our vendor @wheelhorseman sells a ball joint that will work with only slight drilling out of the connection point on spindle.

okay. If it comes to that, I'll follow up.

FatJackDurham

I pushed grease into the front knuckles, and it was very hard to get it in. It must have been pretty gummed up. But, I pushed the black stuff out the top, and it steers more manageably now.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@FatJackDurham I don't know anything about GT 14's , but I put thrust washers on my 310-8 . I haven't tried the steering yet as the :wh: is still hanging in the air so all the grease will drip out of the trans. From what I read the washers do help a lot.

• Like 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

pushed grease into the front knuckles, and it was very hard to get it in.

Probably some hardened old grease that is no longer providing any lubrication. May want to pull the spindles and use a heat gun to melt it then clean everything with mineral sprites. Put it back together and grease it.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

What he said! 

I always pull the spindles and clean them up and regrease. Makes them like new again! 

Randy

FatJackDurham

Definitely in the future plans, if I keep it. I originally had bought it to mow, before I realized the challenges of the GT-14 model, i.e. parts availability, weight, etc. I got the 416-8 after I discovered the transmission problem in the GT-14, but I need to weld up the deck on that one.

I only NEED one of them, both have decks and plow blades. I was thinking of keeping one to plow with since I have a Craftsman to mow with, but I haven't decided which to keep and which to sell. 

I'd like to think one of you would enjoy doing a full restore on the GT-14, which it deserves. Anyway, if you are interested, keep an eye out in the fall. After I get both rigged with their mowers, I'll use each and see which seems better to keep.