muz123

518 Purchase

muz123

I am going to be buying a 518 Wednesday for $400. Has no mower deck but runs and drives good. I know there transmissions are not that good. Anything i should look for? Is $400 a good price for a 518? Think i could plow with it and not hurt the eaton 700? If anyone has anything i should know let me know. 

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by muz123

littleredrider

To me that's a little steep for just a tractor. Maybe a 520 would be worth it. But the 518s aren't as sturdy as the 520, or even 300 series. I'd be weary of plowing with it. Maybe talk him down, meanwhile look for an 1100 tranny to swap. I'm in the middle of doing that to mine. 

• Like 2

Evil Archer 300

I just bought a 518-H without realizing about the Eaton 700. I talked to a retired Wheel Horse Dealer and he said put Mobil 1    15 - 50 Synthetic oil in. It worked great It is now climbing the steep hill in my backyard even Hot. I paid $500 for mine With a 48" Deck,48" Plow, Wheel Weights and New Chains, With a Cart.

• Like 2

Jerry77
1 hour ago, littleredrider said:

But the 518s aren't as sturdy as the 520, or even 300 series

nothing against the 300 series ( I have had two ) but it is a 500 series  so yes it is sturdy....put an eaton 1100 in it and you will be fine - ...try to get it a little cheaper tho - the 1100 eaton will cost you around 150 plus shipping.. check the classifieds - richmondred01 did have one for sale.the eaton 700 may last you awhile but not in the long run..with as many tractors as you have I feel like I'm preaching to the choir..:)

• Like 2

littleredrider

Or if you need a spare 700.....:)

• Like 1

muz123
28 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

nothing against the 300 series ( I have had two ) but it is a 500 series  so yes it is sturdy....put an eaton 1100 in it and you will be fine - ...try to get it a little cheaper tho - the 1100 eaton will cost you around 150 plus shipping.. check the classifieds - richmondred01 did have one for sale.the eaton 700 may last you awhile but not in the long run..with as many tractors as you have I feel like I'm preaching to the choir..:)

Have decided I'm going to just mow with the 518. By just using it to mow the Eaton 700 should last right? I have other 520's for the chores. 

Edited by muz123
  • Like 1

littleredrider

I mowed my back yard that is severely overgrown with bushes and small trees with my 518 for hours and never missed a beat. I'd put my hand under the fender and cool air would be coming from fan. I just don't understand why wheelhorse would cheap out on a tractor that is 2 horse less than the biggest they made. (At the time)'should have called it a 318..

• Like 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, muz123 said:

By just using it to mow the Eaton 700 should last right

I don't see why not....:)

• Like 1

muz123

Thanks for the help everyone !

:)

stevebo

That machine will be limited on pushing snow and also the response due to the tranny. If you buy it fine a different machine to plow with or you will be disappointed. Might be fine for a mower. 

• Like 2