Firebug

D series fuel tank mount

Firebug

I was just wondering, I've been seeing pics of d series units lately that have the fuel tank mounted on the left rear fender. Was this an optional location by wheel horse to free up space behind the seat or are quite a few people having the same idea at home, would there be an advantage or reason to put it on the fender? 

pfrederi

More leg room??  My easy ride seat hits the tank a bit as I have it all the way back.  I am not aware of any from the factory set up on the fender.  are they original tanks???. 

Firebug

The ones I've seen are original 5 gallon tanks

There's a pic of one in another forum titled project d-220

pacer

Yeah, I've seen a couple pics of mounting the factory tanks like that too. Would imagine the owner did it, for whatever reason?? leg room sounds like a good possibility. I try to get my seats as far back as possible and they do rub the tank. Maybe tool storage spot??:confusion-confused:

Firebug

I had seen a pic with the tank on one side and a tool box on the other. My property isn't that big that I stray to far from the tool box, and at 5'6" there is plenty of leg room for me, but I could see how it would get cramped for someone of any height. 

DTOM

When you have the backhoe attachment the gas tank is mounted on the fender. Other than that there is no reason with original set ups. 

• Like 3

ericj

:text-yeahthat:

eric j

Sarge

There is an option , easy ride seat or otherwise instead of moving the tank - space the seat upwards a bit , like 1" or so . It makes a huge difference for leg room and also helps with the operator's view of the front end . I'm 6' and just by going up 1" with spacers it really made a difference in comfort with the easy ride seat setup . Moving that tank to the fender will eventually crack the sheet metal - those tanks are heavy , especially the bigger D-200 size tank unless you add some serious bracing .

Sarge

• Like 1