cleat

48 and 60 inch deck restoration.

c-series don

I agree that 60" deck is HEAVY !! The only way I move it alone is with my C-141 8 speed with FEL !! But I will say that it probably is the best cutting deck I have. Beautiful job on the restoration of the decks. 

Aldon

Nice. Very Nice!

19richie66

:text-yeahthat:

semper5
53 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I agree that 60" deck is HEAVY !! The only way I move it alone is with my C-141 8 speed with FEL !! But I will say that it probably is the best cutting deck I have. Beautiful job on the restoration of the decks. 

Is this to say that you operate a 60" with 14 hp? 

Marv

Did you say you just took them out of the factory shipping box? Look that good. Come do mine.

Marv

c-series don

No, I have my 60" deck on my 416-H. It has 6" not 8" front wheels that came factory for that odd 37" SD deck it came with. Those small wheels allow it to turn about 95% before they hit the deck. The 16 hp Onan works just fine with the 60" deck, I'm not cutting tall grass with it though. I mow weekly and bag it with a Peco vacuum. 

a.dumont

How universal are these decks? Can a 60"go on a unit that originally had a 48"?

semper5
6 minutes ago, a.dumont said:

How universal are these decks? Can a 60"go on a unit that originally had a 48"?

Not being completely versed in these decks as well, it is my understanding that although it may fit, the horsepower should be enough to support the 60" deck. That HP should be at 20HP. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Aldon
On 7/30/2017 at 9:58 PM, semper5 said:

Is this to say that you operate a 60" with 14 hp? 

Yes. I will state it. 

Not sure where the idea came about that excessive horse power is necessary.

For comparison, on. GT14, the 14HP K321 is sufficient to motivate a 8-900 pound tractor, often close to 1k when wheels are loaded and it has rear wheel weights and it is sufficient to both operate the Hydrostatic pump for the transaxle and the 3 point lift while lifting a very weighty tractor specific Tiller. And then turning said tiller through soil.

Im not saying that HP is not a consideration but that often we over power. In some cases this is an excellent choice.

While 14hp runs the 60 inch deck fine, space and wheel clearance are more limiting factor.

Im not the only one to run 60 inch deck with 14HP. 

Back several years ago BAERPATH also iterated that it would suffice.

So all can take it with a grain of salt as you will as it is simply another data point.

Edited by Aldon
  • Thanks 1

semper5

Fair enough. My dream of getting a hold of a 60" will now resurrect...

Aldon

To be fair, and assure apples to apples comparisons, the 60 inch deck I have personally used successfully is a C195 style. Sourced to Wheel horse by Ariens I believe....

The deck shell is quite a bit lighter.

My guess is you may need to consider a swept axle set up if not installing deck under the larger tractor like C195 or GT14 et.

dells68

As far as hp, if you've ever used a lawn ranger with a 32" deck and 6hp engine, you'll know how capable these machines are.  My 68 Ranger pulls my big butt straight up a hill in my back yard and does a beautiful job mowing.  You might just need to gear down with a larger deck to allow the blades time to cut through the grass.  Just my  :twocents-02cents:

cleat

I have never found that cutting grass used a lot of HP either.

Now blowing snow is another thing but that can be another discussion.

Big thing for the monster 60" deck is fitment.

One of my 520's has the straight front axle and the 60" deck will not fit it but a 42" will

The 520's with the swept axle will fit a 48 or 60 but not a 42 due to the wide rear wheels.

Wheel horse kept things fairly universal but there are some quirks.

48" deck seems to fit the most models.

lynnmor
14 hours ago, cleat said:

One of my 520's has the straight front axle and the 60" deck will not fit it but a 42" will

The 520's with the swept axle will fit a 48 or 60 but not a 42 due to the wide rear wheels.

I bought a new 1991 520H with a 42" RD deck, it works just fine.  The tractor has the swept front axle.  The 42" SD was not an option, perhaps for the wheel interference you mentioned.

cleat

That is correct, a 42" rear discharge will fit.

I have never used a rear discharge lawn tractor deck.