well about a couple of weeks ago I had a friend of mine make me a lift bracket that attaches to the roof rafters so I could hang my chain hoist from tested a john deere 112 on it and the rafters didn't make a peep!

GEDV0006 (2).JPG

GEDV0007.JPG

• Like 8

Sarge    1,036

If those spans were wrapped with 1/8" metal , it would be a lot safer . Also , adding weight in that matter really requires more than just the 2x4 studs at the wall end to support the weight , might want to double those up so the structure doesn't start cracking with use . Spanning 3 is a good thing , I doubt 2 could take the weight of that Deere without failure , or at least crack along their length , which is what usually happens .

Just be really careful with that thing and never work under a suspended load - treat it as if it will fall at any time and use stands that are appropriate for the weight .

Sarge

• Like 2

well what you don't see in the pic that helps the wall supports is i have 2x8 roof supports on each side that balances the structure weight 

Sarge    1,036

Good deal - seen too much stuff get dropped from not distributing weight correctly - wood can only take so much...lol . I just missed a decent deal on a big A frame with a nice 2T chain hoist , although I have no idea where I'd store it...as usual . I will say , the recent addition of an engine hoist has helped a lot around here , not sure why I didn't do that 10yrs ago - maybe my back would be in better shape these days .

Sarge

• Like 1