Rollerman

Theroretical 8 speed question.

Rollerman

Could a late model heavy duty 8 speed (hi/lo, W/1 1/8" axles) be used as a transmission/transfer case?

Rather than driving wheels, sending power via driveshafts to a front & rear axle?

I understand the Horse trans really can't be shifted like a car transmission & mostly brain storming my way through something with parts I have on hand or familiar with.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Every shaft in the tranny runs side to side...as do the axles.  I do not see how you could change direction 90 degrees to out put to a drive shaft.

Ed Kennell

I thought he was planning to turn the trans axle 90 degrees Paul.    So the axles were front to rear.   

• Like 2

Rollerman
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I thought he was planning to turn the trans axle 90 degrees Paul.    So the axles were front to rear.   

This^^^^

Ed Kennell

You would have to use a posi trac tranny or mechanically lock it so power went equally to both axles.

• Like 1

wallfish
26 minutes ago, Rollerman said:

Could a late model heavy duty 8 speed (hi/lo, W/1 1/8" axles) be used as a transmission/transfer case?

Why Not?

Lock the pinions in the transmission.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I'm starting to envision a monster :wh: rock crawler.

Image result for rock crawler jeep

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

19richie66

Would you have to reduce the rpms from the motor down going to the input side or would it handle say 3000-3500 rpms? The pulleys cut it down some. Just thinking. This would be cool!

Rollerman
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

You would have to use a posi trac tranny or mechanically lock it so power went equally to both axles.

For true 4x4 yes, but leaving the diff open would help the steering.

1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm starting to envision a monster :wh: rock crawler.

Image result for rock crawler jeep

Eh....more like a golf cart/tractor/4x4 thing.

• Like 3

Rollerman
15 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Would you have to reduce the rpms from the motor down going to the input side or would it handle say 3000-3500 rpms? The pulleys cut it down some. Just thinking. This would be cool!

See this is the complicated part...."math".

Easier for some to comprehend, complete mystery for those like myself.

What I have....or brainstorming.

A pair of Suzuki Samurai axles, an 8 speed in the middle & powered by a Predator 22HP using either a torque converter or simple belt with tension idler style clutch.

Depending on what the ratio of the axles are I can set up the drive off the engine for some reduction.

Really not looking for a lot of speed.

• Like 3

19richie66

Im in:popcorn:

• Like 1

slim67

Yes ! Please do it ! Im a golf cart guy or was at one time. I did Club Cars and one Yamaha. I would love do to an EZGO TXT. What do you have in mind? It sounds like you could  post this over at pirate 4x4 and buggies gone wild.

• Like 2

19richie66

I had an EZGO cart with the swingarm rear platform. I built my own engine swingarm with a kawasaki zz600 motor and chain drove a honda civic 5 speed transmission on the input shaft. Was gonna be cool but too many other things got in the way and it eventually got stripped and parted out. Kinda like everything else I start. :laughing-rolling:

Rollerman
1 hour ago, Electro12WH said:

It does, thanks....but more math involved & if the Horse trans can handle pulling two axles.

953 nut

:woohoo:    This should be fun to follow!

Would you rotate the engine and trans 90 degrees and drive it with a belt? 

Rollerman

Since the original question in the thread was if a Horse 8 speed could be used as a center mounted trans/xfer gearbox, I started another thread showing what I'm working (dreaming) on.

See "Whatchamacalit" in the Other Brands thread.

And if an admin or mod wants to merge or consolidate the two threads :roll:

Edited by Rollerman
  • Like 3

littleredrider

Sammi axles have 3.73s in them. Find an 90s tracker or sidekick, many have 5.13 gears. 

• Like 1

slim67
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I had an EZGO cart with the swingarm rear platform. I built my own engine swingarm with a kawasaki zz600 motor and chain drove a honda civic 5 speed transmission on the input shaft. Was gonna be cool but too many other things got in the way and it eventually got stripped and parted out. Kinda like everything else I start. :laughing-rolling:

Were you on buggies gone wild awhile back? I remember a username Richie who was building an older Marathon that looked promising.If not ,your project sounded interesting.

19richie66

That was me :greetings-wavingyellow:

Edited by 19richie66

slim67
27 minutes ago, Rollerman said:

Since the original question in the thread was if a Horse 8 speed could be used as a center mounted trans/xfer gearbox, I started another thread showing what I'm working (dreaming) on.

See "Whatchamacalit" in the Other Brands thread.

And if an admin or mod wants to merge or consolidate the two threads :roll:

Sounds good. I will be following this one.

Just now, 19richie66 said:

That was me :greetings-wavingyellow:

LOL yes I remember then ! You put a quad suspension on the front right?

Rollerman
21 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

Sammi axles have 3.73s in them. Find an 90s tracker or sidekick, many have 5.13 gears. 

Good to know.

I already have the axles & no idea of the year.

Since I won't be running any taller than a 30ish inch tire, stock gearing should be fine in the axles.

I can underdrive the trans if needed.

• Like 1

19richie66

Yes. Honda ex400 with disc brakes. That thing looked mean. The rear tires on my GT14 are what I had on the rear of that cart. The only things I had left of it. Wish I could have finished it. Probably would have killed me. I think we figured between the 6 speed bike tranny and the 5 speed civic tranny, it had 30 something gears. :laughing-rolling:  Let me go check out whatchamacallit. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

slim67
2 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Yes. Honda ex400 with disc brakes. That thing looked mean. The rear tires on my GT14 are what I had on the rear of that cart. The only things I had left of it. Wish I could have finished it. Probably would have killed me. I think we figured between the 6 speed bike tranny and the 5 speed civic tranny, it had 30 something gears. :laughing-rolling:  Let me go check out whatchamacallit. 

Well its good to see you here .

• Like 1

Electro12WH

As a general rule of thumb, that trans can handle about 35hp on a pulling tractor. How that converts to 2 axles and a smaller engine - I don't know.

• Like 2