Jump to content
Rollerman

Theroretical 8 speed question.

Recommended Posts

Could a late model heavy duty 8 speed (hi/lo, W/1 1/8" axles) be used as a transmission/transfer case?

Rather than driving wheels, sending power via driveshafts to a front & rear axle?

I understand the Horse trans really can't be shifted like a car transmission & mostly brain storming my way through something with parts I have on hand or familiar with.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every shaft in the tranny runs side to side...as do the axles.  I do not see how you could change direction 90 degrees to out put to a drive shaft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was planning to turn the trans axle 90 degrees Paul.    So the axles were front to rear.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I thought he was planning to turn the trans axle 90 degrees Paul.    So the axles were front to rear.   

This^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would have to use a posi trac tranny or mechanically lock it so power went equally to both axles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rollerman said:

Could a late model heavy duty 8 speed (hi/lo, W/1 1/8" axles) be used as a transmission/transfer case?

Why Not?

Lock the pinions in the transmission.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm starting to envision a monster :wh: rock crawler.

Image result for rock crawler jeep

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you have to reduce the rpms from the motor down going to the input side or would it handle say 3000-3500 rpms? The pulleys cut it down some. Just thinking. This would be cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

You would have to use a posi trac tranny or mechanically lock it so power went equally to both axles.

For true 4x4 yes, but leaving the diff open would help the steering.

1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm starting to envision a monster :wh: rock crawler.

Image result for rock crawler jeep

Eh....more like a golf cart/tractor/4x4 thing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Would you have to reduce the rpms from the motor down going to the input side or would it handle say 3000-3500 rpms? The pulleys cut it down some. Just thinking. This would be cool!

See this is the complicated part...."math".

Easier for some to comprehend, complete mystery for those like myself.

 

What I have....or brainstorming.

A pair of Suzuki Samurai axles, an 8 speed in the middle & powered by a Predator 22HP using either a torque converter or simple belt with tension idler style clutch.

 

Depending on what the ratio of the axles are I can set up the drive off the engine for some reduction.

Really not looking for a lot of speed.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes ! Please do it ! Im a golf cart guy or was at one time. I did Club Cars and one Yamaha. I would love do to an EZGO TXT. What do you have in mind? It sounds like you could  post this over at pirate 4x4 and buggies gone wild.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an EZGO cart with the swingarm rear platform. I built my own engine swingarm with a kawasaki zz600 motor and chain drove a honda civic 5 speed transmission on the input shaft. Was gonna be cool but too many other things got in the way and it eventually got stripped and parted out. Kinda like everything else I start. :laughing-rolling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:woohoo:    This should be fun to follow!

Would you rotate the engine and trans 90 degrees and drive it with a belt? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Since the original question in the thread was if a Horse 8 speed could be used as a center mounted trans/xfer gearbox, I started another thread showing what I'm working (dreaming) on.

See "Whatchamacalit" in the Other Brands thread.

And if an admin or mod wants to merge or consolidate the two threads :roll:

Edited by Rollerman
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sammi axles have 3.73s in them. Find an 90s tracker or sidekick, many have 5.13 gears. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I had an EZGO cart with the swingarm rear platform. I built my own engine swingarm with a kawasaki zz600 motor and chain drove a honda civic 5 speed transmission on the input shaft. Was gonna be cool but too many other things got in the way and it eventually got stripped and parted out. Kinda like everything else I start. :laughing-rolling:

Were you on buggies gone wild awhile back? I remember a username Richie who was building an older Marathon that looked promising.If not ,your project sounded interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That was me :greetings-wavingyellow:

Edited by 19richie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rollerman said:

Since the original question in the thread was if a Horse 8 speed could be used as a center mounted trans/xfer gearbox, I started another thread showing what I'm working (dreaming) on.

See "Whatchamacalit" in the Other Brands thread.

And if an admin or mod wants to merge or consolidate the two threads :roll:

Sounds good. I will be following this one.

Just now, 19richie66 said:

That was me :greetings-wavingyellow:

LOL yes I remember then ! You put a quad suspension on the front right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

Sammi axles have 3.73s in them. Find an 90s tracker or sidekick, many have 5.13 gears. 

Good to know.

I already have the axles & no idea of the year.

Since I won't be running any taller than a 30ish inch tire, stock gearing should be fine in the axles.

I can underdrive the trans if needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes. Honda ex400 with disc brakes. That thing looked mean. The rear tires on my GT14 are what I had on the rear of that cart. The only things I had left of it. Wish I could have finished it. Probably would have killed me. I think we figured between the 6 speed bike tranny and the 5 speed civic tranny, it had 30 something gears. :laughing-rolling:  Let me go check out whatchamacallit. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Yes. Honda ex400 with disc brakes. That thing looked mean. The rear tires on my GT14 are what I had on the rear of that cart. The only things I had left of it. Wish I could have finished it. Probably would have killed me. I think we figured between the 6 speed bike tranny and the 5 speed civic tranny, it had 30 something gears. :laughing-rolling:  Let me go check out whatchamacallit. 

Well its good to see you here .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a general rule of thumb, that trans can handle about 35hp on a pulling tractor. How that converts to 2 axles and a smaller engine - I don't know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×