Mikey the Monkey

701 solenoid and regulator

Mikey the Monkey

Now that I have my 701 torn apart, should I replace solenoid under the dash since its easier to get to now? If so where can i find a good replacement. Also, the Kohler k 161 that powers the tractor has no regulator on top of the generator. Is this correct? In the wiring diagrams it has one:icecream:

WHX??

You should have this solenoid

and this wring diagram

Note in the first link it mentions a suitable replacement which can be had at any auto parts place. Note which battery cables were on which post if you use the original. as this is very important since the solenoid is connected internally to the battery side positive  post .  You will be hard pressed to find one like that hence the 4 terminal replacement

What is being used for voltage regulation if you haven't got one on the S/G? Sounds like a PO was having fun with this one. You should also have double S/G drive pulley.

• Like 2

Mikey the Monkey

You're really helping me out today buddy! Here is a pic of the engine. It started and ran fine prior to disassembly without a regulator.

15011850203511841744337.jpg

• Like 3

pfrederi

The S/G will start the engine with out a regulator but there will be no controlled battery charging.

• Like 1

Mikey the Monkey

Got it thanks

WHX??

No problem Monkey

19 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

there will be no controlled battery charging.

and spark power drawn right off the batt, That's probably was PO was doing unless there was some other type of wizardry goin on there.... .just throw the battery on a charger when she gets dead.

new2horses

Not to muck up the works and maybe I'm wrong here, but there was no solenoid, just a momentary switch? Along with the two prong two wire ignition switch? Am I missing something? It should be the same as a 953, right?

gwest_ca

Garry

ol550
2 hours ago, new2horses said:

Not to muck up the works and maybe I'm wrong here, but there was no solenoid, just a momentary switch? Along with the two prong two wire ignition switch? Am I missing something? It should be the same as a 953, right?

No muck at all.  The 701 used a solenoid that was controlled by a push button switch that grounded the solenoid to engage it. Finding a solenoid that needs to be grounded to energize is a task, but a little change in wiring you can power one to make it work.

• Like 2

new2horses
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:19 AM, ol550 said:

No muck at all.  The 701 used a solenoid that was controlled by a push button switch that grounded the solenoid to engage it. Finding a solenoid that needs to be grounded to energize is a task, but a little change in wiring you can power one to make it work.

MY bad, sorry everyone!!!:text-imsorry: