Mt Zion 520H

Wide pully on mule? Bearings crapped out...

Mt Zion 520H

Anyone ever have this happen?

Noticed belt smoking.. Investigated pulley spin difficulty and this one was rough. Dismantling shows pc's of twisted metal..

I put new deck belt couple weeks ago. I have new blades coming today in mail and now this crap. It's being a pain to remove also. Any tips? And what brand or part number? It's a 97 520H

20170727_125443.jpg

Thisguyisnew

If you don't have a puller bust and pry out the bearings contents. This should allow you to slide off the flat idler pulley's housing... Then put a pipe wrench on what is left on shaft and twist it off with penetrating oil

• Like 1

Mt Zion 520H

Thanks newguy. Lol.

Bearing says TPI 6203LU TAIWAN

Can i order just a bearing n press into pulley or better to just buy whole thing new??

Thisguyisnew

kind of? You'd have to split it at the spot welds and weld it or bolt it back together after install. I'd buy one complete

Edited by Thisguyisnew
  • Like 1

Anglo Traction

Look's like you have the Pressed Steel with Captive Bearings. Older versions were Cast Iron  with replaceable Bearings like this-

DSC01602.JPG.1b8669f3c9b0632a67852d259c4ea0d8.JPG

You will probably be wise to replace both, in which case you'll need examples in this -LINK-

Regards

• Like 2

Mt Zion 520H

Thanks again. Since i needed to finish up the lawn.. I pulled the broken pc's i could see out. Put everything back together and ran her again around the property mowing. After 1 lap; pulley locked up again. Lol. Pulled apart again and saw more broken metal pc's.. So i pulled the rest of em out. Nothing left in there but some ball bearings. Guess the metal i pulled were some sort of ball dividers... But i ran it again and managed to finish the other half of the 2 acre property with it and no issue. At least i got to finish and can now order the part needed. Lol.

Thanks Anglo. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

WHX??

6203''s bearings are a dime for a dozen...... well maybe not that cheap but.....

This is why before every mowing season do your maintenance, lube, oil & filter, blades, BEARINGS! :)

Actually that's not a bad price for the set  @Anglo Traction I've  seen more than that for just one! :hide:

Edited by WHX11

Mt Zion 520H

Thanks WHX.

I havent had it a yr yet. I paid 1,100 for it and never had a lawn before so never owned lawn equiptment. Lol. Learning as i go so rest assured.. I will get her in tip top shape in due time. Minor issues like this don't hold her down. Lol.

• Like 2

WHX??

Well ther ya go Zion ....for ya know it you'll have them coming out your ears!

Say Lowell have you got the super common 1623's ???  I have four to do and bearings are only a buck 189 but I got no time!

91-7102 I think?

JimmyJam

My mule drive did the same thing. Heated up and smoked belt. I removed clamps. soaked w/ penetrating fluid and pounded, soaked and pounded, soaked and pounded (of coarse pounded with nut on!). Finally released. However the only bearings I could find online were metric. So far not working. Bought another used mule drive. Works for now for cutting grass cutting. B)

Gonna take it to a machine shop to have bearings pressed on. My :twocents-02cents:. Good luck! -Jim

Edited by JimmyJam

ericj

what works for me, if you are careful about it knock the pulley off and take a grinder and CAREFULLY cut down through the bearing race till almost through, then, take a hammer and chisel and see if you can split it. then file and sand it smooth and the put never seize on the saft before putting it all back together.

I had to doe this several weeks ago on Saturday on a 1 15/16 blower shaft at the Jersey Shore Hospital when they lost a bearing on a large air handling unit. Luckily for me the heat from grinding the cut in, loosened it up and I was able to tap it off with no problems.

good luck 

eric j  

Bach-Ed

One big thing to add to ericj's advice, Wear face protection or at least safety glasses!  Bearing components are VERY hard and can shatter like glass if struck.  One of my co workers needed stitches after one let loose as he tried to remove it from the bore it had been in.  The edges will be razor sharp.  Yeah 99.99% of the time it won't happen but I like to stay away from the emergency room.

• Like 2