Lane Ranger

Late Three Piece Transmssion

Lane Ranger

This three piece transmssionnis on a Wheel Horse Suburban.   Anyone seen a later dtae on a three piece transmission case than   5/63 ?

20403654_1625547400791095_197351867_n.jpg?oh=41926109a33f84e8eca8a9de6bd7a882&oe=597C69D7

tims tractors

It almost looks like 5-53.  Tim

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

I see 5-53 also.

• Like 1

WHX??

I'm seein 63.....Could it be possible they were still trying to fill orders from '62? That's awful far into 63. Let's check with Steve @stevasaurus

• Like 2

Achto

I thought that the 3 piece was done in '61. Educate me if I'm wrong please.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

I see 5-63.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I'm guessing that was a replacement case or complete transmission

• Like 2

ACman

I also see a 63 . I know the ponds were frugal but I assume they had to still make replacement parts for inventory  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That is not what their casting dates usually look like.  They should look like   K11%0  which would equate to September 11, 1960.  Those numbers are certainly in the right place though.  If that is a casting date, it would have to be 63 and I think Oliver (Jim) is right.  Maybe to produce some spare castings again for replacements...probably because the Hooby-Doobies were breaking off where the side plate bolts go.  :think:

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

It looked like 53 to me also but I knew there was no such thing at that time!   But 63  seemed to be a lot longer manufacturing date than I  ever recall!   

Replacement parts must be the situation!

Edited by Lane Ranger

WHX??

Agree Lane but if they were last used in 61??... well maybe they WERE breaking a lot of the  hoobies in '62 Steve is breaking now so they had to start casting them again in 63?? Steve was your dad working on 3 piecers  back then?:ychain: OR ...could they have sourcing them out to another manufacturer? I have seen them on other brands??? Then they changed the date codes just to say lets #*&% with them guys in 2017....  So many questions so few answers! Fire up yer time machine and let us know when you get back! :lol:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

My Dad's oldest horse was a 1962, so he never owned a 3 piece.  I'm thinking that they had to keep replacement parts for a number of years...and these were not the best transmissions.  They made numerous changes inside during the 4 years that they used them, and they did make a lot of them.  :)

Lane, check and see if this has the part number #3501 cast into it.  :think:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

My Dad's oldest horse was a 1962, so he never owned a 3 piece.  I'm thinking that they had to keep replacement parts for a number of years...and these were not the best transmissions.  They made numerous changes inside during the 4 years that they used them, and they did make a lot of them.  :)

Lane, check and see if this has the part number #3501 cast into it.  :think:

The right side of the Suburban three piece transmission shows a different story!   E 8  -9   So may be 1959 after all.   Not sure what left side numbers meant!   

Also Steve the 3501 is  still there barely!

Here is another unusual one however.  See  the second photo.

M18-8     on right side.

Will do Steve!

062.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger

WHX??

Ahhh....The mystery  deepens 

stevasaurus

E8 - 9 would be  May 8, 1959

M18 - 8 would be December 18, 1958

They did not use the letter "I" because it would look like a number...so "M" is December.  :)

• Like 1

rj35hunter

Here is the date on a RJ58 I'm restoring and I'm pretty sure it's the original transmission and it's E4-9....

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That would be May 4, 1959.  If your trans is original, I think you have an RJ59 there.  The thought is the 58 and 59 RJs are the same...a 2 year production.  A 58 transmission could be in a 59 RJ, but not the other way around...if original.  :)

@rj35hunter

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Have an F-6 with a '9 on this ol' timer here. 

597e01b58b218_wheelhorsinaround333607949.jpg.4a65dc6fd9c0d5e60ca0c75dbc18c5a2.jpg597e01e4596b3_wheelhorsinaround333607954.jpg.2d0f531493c75b16acb4cc50504f61a8.jpg597e02217fe4f_wheelhorsinaround333607944.jpg.b84b4094c3d2fc6c5c3ab8aafd73bb2e.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

The opposite end of the spectrum...

showing a couple cases here with no date codes on 'em. 

IMG_0017.JPG.7ae6b1d813bbcc97343911984c1915c6.JPGIMG_0024.JPG.fb08347ad627ded999fafcace5dcc2b7.JPG

Does that suggest these were early in the production run?  :dunno:

Edited by AMC RULES

wallfish
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Does that suggest these were early in the production run?

Exactly, the early ones did not have the cast numbers. An evidenced by the early round 3 hole hubs.

• Like 2