slim67

black rat snake

slim67

I found this while hiking with my wife. Im guessing a 6 footer. Biggest one Ive ever caught or even seen for that matter.IMG_0777.JPG.4c74633a8b8894e95e19ef5123e447d2.JPG

• Like 9

steelman

That is a big one. I had one hanging around my farm, maybe 4 ft or so a few years back. 

SPINJIM

Yea, I have one almost that big that slithers into my workshop occasionally.   I've been trying to trap it, but no luck so far.   I know they are supposed to control mice and voles, but I wish they'd stay outdoors.    If I catch it, I'm going to have to 'eliminate' it.   It creeps me out when I work out in my shop in the evening.   

Jim

• Like 4

tunahead72

Dang it, WHY did I open this thread?!? :angry-banghead:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Yeah I don't much care for them either, but here's a buddy of mine "playing" with one he found while we were ATV riding in WV, Jeff.

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

• Like 2

slim67
52 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yeah I don't much care for them either, but here's a buddy of mine "playing" with one he found while we were ATV riding in WV, Jeff.

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

Thats a nice size one right there. Did your buddy have to scrub the musk off his hands afterwards. I had to rinse my hands in a pond afterwards. I think the snake had a cigarette after it was done.

7 hours ago, steelman said:

That is a big one. I had one hanging around my farm, maybe 4 ft or so a few years back. 

6 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Yea, I have one almost that big that slithers into my workshop occasionally.   I've been trying to trap it, but no luck so far.   I know they are supposed to control mice and voles, but I wish they'd stay outdoors.    If I catch it, I'm going to have to 'eliminate' it.   It creeps me out when I work out in my shop in the evening.   

Jim

I was told they are a farmers best friend because of rodent control.

• Like 2

little red riding horse

This has to be one of the few reasons im glad i live in scotland !! the scariest things we have here is the risk of flooding (usually very high risk) ! and tourist's in campervans....

phil

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, slim67 said:

Thats a nice size one right there. Did your buddy have to scrub the musk off his hands afterwards. I had to rinse my hands in a pond afterwards. I think the snake had a cigarette after it was done.

I was told they are a farmers best friend because of rodent control.

It actually bit him while he was trying to wrangle him up, the next weekend his hand was all swollen, that reminds me last week mowing my 520 horse "chunked" one (black snake into about 100 pieces) up and it stank really bad after it was flung out the deck,like I said I ain't fond of them no matter what the color ,Jeff.

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

It actually bit him while he was trying to wrangle him up, the next weekend his hand was all swollen, that reminds me last week mowing my 520 horse "chunked" one (black snake into about 100 pieces) up and it stank really bad after it was flung out the deck,like I said I ain't fond of them no matter what the color ,Jeff.

:ROTF: If he got bit, he was doing it wrong. I wonder why his hand was swollen though?

• Like 1

DougC

We were talking about Wild Kingdom and Marlin Perkins and his critter wrangler Jim Fowler in The Basement the other day.....

Hold on, I'll see if their still down there. They may be able to help......:lol:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, slim67 said:

:ROTF: If he got bit, he was doing it wrong. I wonder why his hand was swollen though?

I reckon but but he was having a tough time keeping him straightened out, and he got him out of the camp stove in the cabin not out in nature where he should have been, Jeff.

slim67
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I reckon but but he was having a tough time keeping him straightened out, and he got him out of the camp stove in the cabin not out in nature where he should have been, Jeff.

Well that changes things a bit being in a stove. Steve Irwin( R.I.P) probably would have gotten bit.

• Like 1

6bg6ga

The only good snake is a dead one. I'd have shot the +_)()* thing with my 1911.:bitch:

slim67
3 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

The only good snake is a dead one. I'd have shot the +_)()* thing with my 1911.:bitch:

No,no,no Joe. Not true my friend. The black plague spread throughout europe because there were no snakes to control that rats that carried them. I really dont know if that is true or not but for the snakes sake, it sounds good. Im not advocating the killing of snakes, but wouldnt .22 birdshot be better? Or does the 1911 needs used?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

If my Mrs. Ever saw that she would jump to the high heavens.   I don't care much for snakes.

Glenn

• Like 1

wheelhorseman

This happened at the big show this year!!

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

• Like 7

6bg6ga
8 hours ago, slim67 said:

No,no,no Joe. Not true my friend. The black plague spread throughout europe because there were no snakes to control that rats that carried them. I really dont know if that is true or not but for the snakes sake, it sounds good. Im not advocating the killing of snakes, but wouldnt .22 birdshot be better? Or does the 1911 needs used?

I am deathly afraid of snakes. As good as I am with my 1911's I wouldn't miss and I don't want the snake to feel any pain I simply want to spread him in as many pieces as I can. By the way head shots count 10 points most places.

slim67
1 hour ago, 6bg6ga said:

I am deathly afraid of snakes. As good as I am with my 1911's I wouldn't miss and I don't want the snake to feel any pain I simply want to spread him in as many pieces as I can. By the way head shots count 10 points most places.

A lot of people are. By the way , the largest python ever recorded was a 33 foot Reticulated shot in the Phillipines. Your 1911 would be your back up on that one.

6bg6ga

Well, I think the 45acp 1911 would have enough to take the snake out and if not I would pull out my Desert Eagle 44 magnum and for sure it would be a dead snake a good snake.

slim67
2 minutes ago, 6bg6ga said:

Well, I think the 45acp 1911 would have enough to take the snake out and if not I would pull out my Desert Eagle 44 magnum and for sure it would be a dead snake a good snake.

I think the .44 is a good everything stopper. Like dirty harry says,"take the head clean off" !

6bg6ga
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, wheelhorseman said:

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

At least the snake is a Wheel Horse Fan

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, slim67 said:

You have a good point. Snakes do some good by keeping rats and other rodents under control. I still don't like them and probably never will. When I retire we plan a move to AZ. I don't like the thoughts of rattlesnakes or scorpions. My brother and his wife have wintered in AZ for years now and never have seen a snake but have seen two small scorpions. I understand duct tape does wonders on scorpions and probably easier than patching a 45 cal hole in the floor too.

slim67
On 7/27/2017 at 10:41 PM, wheelhorseman said:

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

Did he crawl on out of there? Theres something you dont see everyday!

tunahead72

Just lookin' for mice, he knows EXACTLY where to find 'em on these old Wheel Horses!

DougC

I like snakes in the garden and outside the house keeping the rodent population under control.

If they get into the house or garage and surprise me normally I shorten their life span considerably.......;)

19richie66

I'll take a black rat snake any day over one of these. Almost stepped on this one walking to my shed. Still gives me the eebie jeebies thinking about it. Everything looked like a snake for months.

IMG_5213.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1