Truckie

Help needed with 502 drive belt

Truckie

I am having some issues with the drive belt popping off of the clutch pulley on my son's 502. It appears to have a homemade cover over the belt.  I read on another post that there's some kind of clip or something that holds the belt when you push in on the clutch so the transmission stops spinning so you can shift. Does anyone have pictures of this that they can send me? I have an idea to make a new belt cover but I would like to see what it's supposed to look like first.  Also we did do a pulley swap swapping the rear and front pulleys to make the tractor go faster if that makes any difference.

953 nut

:WRS:                               The correct drive belt should be   4L-700 or A68 (both are the same size). I'm not a big fan of the "pulley swap" and it may be contributing to your problem. The belt retainer on this clutch idler should be rotated forward to capture and stop the belt.

ideler.JPG.6e26e3a5ec371f0cef0aaaf3301c4ba1.JPG

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

Truckie

So is that piece bolted or welded onto the idler arm?  I was under the impression that there was something below the pulley on the motor that caused the belt to slip.  I like the way the pic looks though because I feel it will hold the belt on the idler pulley.  That's where it keeps jumping off.

I'm sure the pulley swap isn't popular with most, but my son is building this tractor for fun, not work.  He gets a pretty big grin when he hits 3rd gear after the swap.

953 nut

The retainer is bolted to the arm. Also, there are heavy wire pieces bolted to the engine on most, not sure about yours, to help keep the belt from jumping off. Sorry, don't have a picture of them.