ohiofarmer

carburetor clean and refurb

ohiofarmer

A carb that is in tune is a beautiful thing. The carb on the raider 10 is now at the very edge of not running the tractor. it will start with the assistance of a squirt of carb cleaner and run if it is choked a bit less than full choke. The choke control on this tractor has a series of click detents and the one that works is about three from full choke. It does run well once it starts and the choke setting is dialed in.

My questions ;; Is there a cleaning procedure in print or video available?  Is there a parts kit that any of you recommend for this carb?  Is there any evaluation of the fuel pump that one should do, or is just cranking the engine to see some fuel pump out of the line sufficient?

Thanks for your time in helping out in this endeavor.. I am not a total newbie to carb work as i have cleaned out some really nasty motorcycle carbs with good results

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

Hey Farmer, Fred, thought thats a Walbro right ? I'm using exact same carb on my C125, that was on a Raider K301, i rebuilt mine, now granted its still not smooth running, im betting its the Gov !  Id try that carb parts cleaner in a gallon can, put it in and let it soak, 953 nut say's run sea foam thru it ? 

Indiana_Steve

Carb kits are easy to find and not expensive. Most kits have a replacement float valve/seat and new gaskets. Clean everything else. They do not come with a mounting gasket. Best to buy one as any air leak will effect the carb operation.

• Like 7

WVHillbilly520H

The $30 eBay replacements work just fine(I know just put one on dad's CC last summer after couldn't get the original cured after 3 soaking and kits) just be sure to watch for the correct linkages for choke and throttle, BTW if you go up 1 size on the carb you'll gain a little extra HP (1 carb is 7-8hp next is 10-12hp and then 14-16hp) which is a good thing and most overhaul kits are $10 on average, Jeff.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Found a good video. these carbs are a a lot like the simple carbs in the old straight twin Honda bikes like the 360. I think if i have to replace the needle/seat, i will try for a Kohler  genuine part.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I googled genuine Kohler carb kit and found one for $13.00 and free shipping. I guess that I can buy the mounting gaskets from the local dealer, if needed.

I found aftermarket for $6. but I think I will stick with OEM.     Thanks, Tunahead, good read

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

All I had to do was make some gaskets for both the engine side and the air cleaner side. Fel-Pro from auto zone and I got a lifetime supply for five bucks.

The PO buggered the screwdriver slot, but i got the jet reasonably clean. The main jet has emulsifier holes passing through, so i got that all clean.

Here is a little trick you can try when making gaskets. Smear a bit of grease on the surface covered with the gasket, then press the gasket against the carb,

Then get out a cheap can of fast drying spray paint and paint over the grease. Let the paint dry and scrape the grease away, revealing the pattern you want to cut.... So with the carb properly gasketed, the air leaks stopped and then the adjustments worked again

The Raider runs perfect once again

• Like 1