Bertie

Quality fuel line

Bertie

I'm replacing the old fuel line which looks like 1/4 inch r 6mm but it occurred to me it's obviously getting hot at the carb/exhaust end so is there a particular standard of fuel line you should use for the wheel horse...

953 nut

I have been using regular 1/4" rubber fuel line with good results for years.

• Like 3

Bertie
18 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have been using regular 1/4" rubber fuel line with good results for years.

That's good enough for me...🖒

• Like 1

Sarge

For the fuel you folks have across the Pond - since it's non-ethanol mixed I would think the better quality brands of 1/4" rubber line should work fine . If the fuel is oxygenated , might want to look into Poly types used on 2-stroke engines , generally being clear or semi-transparent yellow or blue .

Sarge

• Like 3

Anglo Traction
8 hours ago, Sarge said:

For the fuel you folks have across the Pond - since it's non-ethanol mixed I would think the better quality brands of 1/4" rubber line should work fine . If the fuel is oxygenated , might want to look into Poly types used on 2-stroke engines , generally being clear or semi-transparent yellow or blue .

Sarge

I wish that was the case Sarge. The id**ts? that 'Rule the Fuel' over here in UK shove in 5% of Ethanol (in most fuels). But the logic of growing Oil producing plants instead of Food Crops is for another debate. At least we appear to have very few issues with fuel quality here.

I err on the safe side and use High quality Hose to SAE J30 R6 and R7 with High Bar (12) rating for both my WHs. Made by Codan (Danish?) and Goodyear (U.S).

R6 is good for up to 15% Ethanol. R9 I believe is most resistant.

I also use clear Poly on my 2 strokes, including my 72 Beaird-Poulan XXV, but then I use expensive Alkylate Fuel (Aspen4) in those with zero Ethanol.

Regards    

Edited by Anglo Traction

Sarge

Wow , I wasn't aware of ethanol use in the UK - that's too bad . I have yet to find a rubber product , even those claiming to be compatible with ethanol last any real length of time . They all break down from the inside out and dispense bits of that fuel line into places it should not be . The newer poly types hold up a lot better , although they do have a tendency to become a bit soft over time - but do not fail . The only true drawback to the poly is it's lower heat tolerance in comparison to heavier wall rubber lines and you do have to use different sized clamps to hold it properly since the wall thickness is thinner . Frankly , I wish they would just stop the ethanol thing altogether as it is slowly destroying all things old , and limiting the lifespan of all things new .

Sarge

• Like 1

Electro12WH

Why don't folks switch back to copper line? On my custom '68 Charger, I used 1/4" copper from the fuel pump to the carb with a two loop coil in it just for looks. Going from the tank to the fuel pump, if your concerned about engine heat, you could slip rubber hose over the copper.

Edited by Electro12WH
  • Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Electro12WH said:

used 1/4" copper from the fuel pump to the carb with a two loop coil in it just for looks

:text-imsorry: but it didn't happen if there are no :text-coolphotos: :)

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Electro12WH said:

Why don't folks switch back to copper line?

I love the look of copper line... I read up a bit online and found that many people have trouble with it loosening over (sometimes very little) time and leaking.

I tried it anyway 'cause I'm stubborn and it only lasted a few run-hours and several fittings started seeping... tightened, repeat.... I removed it and installed Tygon.

I don't have a heat/location issue on the B80.

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

Frankly , I wish they would just stop the ethanol thing altogether as it is slowly destroying all things old , and limiting the lifespan of all things ne

I agree !!!

I can get non-ethanol "real gas" not too far from me so I'll be switching over to that to feed ALL my small engines, classic or not.

33 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

:text-imsorry: but it didn't happen if there are no :text-coolphotos: :)

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat:

953 nut
34 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

copper line... I read up a bit online and found that many people have trouble with it loosening over (sometimes very little) time and leaking.

You need to double flair the tubing to prevent loosening, compression rings won't do.

4 hours ago, Electro12WH said:

copper from the fuel pump to the carb with a two loop coil in it just for looks.

Loop coils will reduce the likelihood of copper work hardening, and yes; they do look KOOL!

• Like 4

Electro12WH

No, I don't use compression fittings. If their fittings keep loosening, I wonder what it looks like under their sinks. 

As for it not happening, like the guy in the Steak and Shake commercial said "It happened 'cause I was there!":handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine

.....need to double flair the tubing to prevent loosening, compression rings won't do........

I just tightened every fitting until I heard a snap. :-). Kidding. I'm kidding. Really.

Can I use the same double flare tool that I would for my old brake lines? This Copper feels pretty soft. Is it prone to cracking? Any special care needed?

WHX??

You should never use compression fittings with liquids or gases  that can go bang :angry-extinguishflame:If you must use them small diameter lines only and use rubber ferules, not brass or plastics.

21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

and yes; they do look KOOL!

imagesLJWKYB95.jpg

well they're oil lines but still....

• Like 1

Electro12WH

Bikes now days remind me of Match Box cars; they have no details. Old Harleys with oil lines and such are kinda' like steam punk, all lines, levers and gears. Same for old GTs.

• Like 1