SPINJIM

Which shift stick ?

SPINJIM

I'm rebuilding two transmissions, a 5003 for an RJ58 and a 5010 for a Suburban 400.    They are going together pretty well (thanks to Steve), but they came with different shifter sticks.   Most pictures I've seen show the stick with one bend in it,  but it seems that would be a knuckle buster since it's so close to the hot engine block.     I've also seen a few pictures with a shifter with TWO bends in it, but don't know if that would clear the seat when shifting into reverse or first gear.    The 400 is in pieces (full restoration), so I can't try it out first.   WHAT WORKS BEST ?   I'm leaning toward putting the 1-bend shifter on the 400, since that will be an authentic restoration.   I've looked for a 1-bend stick for the RJ58, but have had no luck, so if the 2-bend stick works, I'll probable use it on the RJ58.

Jim

WH trans shift sticks 002.jpg

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

1962 serial 62-02856 and on have a bent shifter to clear the hydraulic pump

Garry

• Like 4

N3PUY

Just place the 2-bend shifter in a vise and flatten the bend a little or alot. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Not a big deal.  The 1 bend shifter is probably correct for both horses.  You can put it all together and change the shifter anytime you feel like it or find another 1 bend shifter.  I may have one for you...I'd have to look.  Build the horses and make sure the 1 bend works in both...I'll look and see if I have one.  I would trade for the 2 bend if I have the 1 bend for you.  I don't need the 1 bend, but I do need to have a spare shifter.  :)

• Like 5

SPINJIM
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

.I'll look and see if I have one.  I would trade for the 2 bend if I have the 1 bend for you.

Thanks Steve.  Hold off on your search.  I'll wait until I have the Suburban 400 all assembled, and then decide which shift stick I like.   I don't want to hit my knuckles on the engine, but also don't want to hit the seat or parts of my anatomy.    Thanks for the offer, and I'll keep it in mind.

Jim

• Like 2