TN Dave

How Can I Get Mower-Deck-Height Adjustment Lever Unstuck?

TN Dave

Hi all:  I have on old but serviceable 310-8 with a 10 horse Koehler.  

I put the mower deck into the lower position yesterday for a small part of the yard to create a sculpted effect.  To do this, I pressed the button on the top of the lever on the left side of the mower and let it go forward.  I have done this many times before without any problem.  I can always pull the lever back up and raise the deck to the higher position I need for most of the yard.

However, this time the lever to raise & lower the mower deck decided to lock up.  It won't move out of the lower position so I can now only mow in the lower position, which is not good for most of my yard.  I can push on the button on the top of the lever and pull the lever up a bit, but it won't raise the mower deck.  Just won't budge.

I disassembled a couple of pieces of sheet metal to get a look into the insides.  (I removed the left foot support, the  vertical panel above it, and the "control panel" that houses the ignition switch, gauges, etc.)

The linkage underneath seems fine.  

So, the source of the problem appears to be with the mechanism connected to the button on the top of the lever and/or its associated parts internal to the lever.

My request for help is:  What do I take apart next to get at this mechanism?  

The level is mounted on a vertical plate on the left side and appears to be a single piece.  That is, I think I can take off the lever assembly but I can't see anyway to get inside it.

Any assistance or advice on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jerry77

If you have twisted the black knob that regulates the tilling depth etc. to the lowest position, then the deck lever will not lift the deck. Make sure that knob is twisted all the way counterclockwise to allow the lever to operate.. To normally regulate the mowing depth you use the slotted lever on the mower deck itself.....:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

jay bee

I had something like this happen on my son's tractor.  I took the deck off and tried lifting it manually.  As I recall, one of the leveling adjustment mechanisms was binding on something.  When it happened, I could not use the slotted adjusting lever on the mower deck.  I'm testing my memory here, and that is not always a good thing.  All I know is I had to take the deck off to get to the bottom of the problem.  I hope this helps.

Jim

• Like 1

TN Dave

Many thanks to the three people who took time out of their busy days to answer my question, gwest_ca-(File Mod), Jerry77, and jay bee.  

I will try out these fixes as soon as I get a few mintes to do so.  Thanks!

• Like 1

jay bee
1 hour ago, TN Dave said:

Many thanks to the three people who took time out of their busy days to answer my question

That's what happens around here.  It's an amazing, friendly, question answering bunch of people!!!

And by the way  :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Jim (jay bee)

P.S.  Let us know when you finally find the problem.   :wwp:

• Like 1

JC 1965

:text-welcomeconfetti:  TO  :rs:Dave.

TN Dave

Hi again:  I tried twisting the top of the large lever on the left side of the machine, but it didn't move.  I don't think it is adjustable.  

I used a largest pipe wrench I have, but it simply twisted the plastic handle on the end.  There doesn't  appear to be an adjustable knob underneath it. 

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd surely appreciate hearing them.

I think the next step is to see if the deck mechanism is binding somehow underneath the machine, just above the deck.

Thanks.

TN Dave

OK...I fixed it, but oddly, it seemed to simply be accumulated grass clippings that were gumming up the works.  I had taken it apart as far as I could and was about to give up when I noticed the old grass clippings.  A few minutes with the air compressor hose did the trick.  Go figure....

• Like 1

oldredrider

Sometimes it's the simple things. Glad you got it fixed and shared the answer.

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-yeahthat:

Jim

EricF

Grass clippings... :angry-banghead:

I keep finding more every time I go a little deeper into my 520H. The only place I haven't found them is in the engine cooling fins, thankfully. But I keep finding old clippings packed into every little crevice they can get into. I keep blasting them out with compressed air and the hose... I figure one of these days I'll get the previous owner's lawn out of my tractor! They haven't messed up anything mechanical yet, but I keep trying to drive them out before they do.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
10 hours ago, EricF said:

Grass clippings... :angry-banghead:

I keep finding more every time I go a little deeper into my 520H. The only place I haven't found them is in the engine cooling fins, thankfully. But I keep finding old clippings packed into every little crevice they can get into. I keep blasting them out with compressed air and the hose... I figure one of these days I'll get the previous owner's lawn out of my tractor! They haven't messed up anything mechanical yet, but I keep trying to drive them out before they do.

Here's the worst one I've run into the 236hr '95 I got last spring, Jeff.

IMAG2020.jpg

IMAG1983.jpg

IMAG1963.jpg

IMAG2018.jpg

• Like 1

EricF

Yeah, that's pretty typical of what I keep finding... I think I'm running out of crevices and blind spots that they're hiding in now, so it's getting easier to blow it out and keep it clean after mowing. Believe it or not though, I found more than what's in your picture packed in under the fender pan and more mud, clippings and spilled oil all mixed together on top of the transaxle. I can forgive the previous owner, but the problem was the shop that did the routine service. They'd fix what was broken or do whatever fluid changes it was brought in for, and not one thing more -- including cleaning things out to inspect it better.

Would you believe -- I opened up the steering tower to do more cleaning and checking, and found the little pull-back spring for PTO lever completely disconnected... and sitting in clump of clippings! :o It had been that way all along from before when I bought the tractor, stayed there through the trailer ride home, multiple mowings, and even when I'd sprayed water and blasted the area with air!

• Like 2

Sarge

It's not a bad idea to expose those areas and clean it with a pressure washer or some flavor of degreaser - that will help keep the dirt/grass from accumulating so badly . I immediately fix oil/grease leaks on my equipment and everything gets a 110psi blasting of air after every mowing . The cleaner you keep this stuff , the longer it will last...

Sarge

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

My Son steam cleans after every mowing, he said on a HOT Day , Gas, Grass & Dog crap collects in the Corral & flows up to family room:text-lol:2017070895184641.jpg.14826adb0a56b6303afcb26712cdb9bc.jpg

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

@WVHillbilly520H Man you have a lot of WH in your area for sale, id have to sell the farm, ole lady keeps me chained to the wall when i get that Buy WH tractors look

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

@WVHillbilly520H Man you have a lot of WH in your area for sale, id have to sell the farm, ole lady keeps me chained to the wall when i get that Buy WH tractors look

I guess I'm not looking as much since I bought the Mahindra eMax just don't need anyone for now lol, I have had the anniversary 520H since new in 1998 and it won't go anywhere, then went on a :wh: buying spree last year 2 more 520Hs 1 with a bagger and the 523Dxi that the engine was shot in with 48" snow plow and lastly a 520xi with 60" deck then a 42" single stage snow thrower for it, after finding the engine ruined in the Dxi I went on a selling spree to help offset the SCUT purchase, Jeff.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Im heading to Pittsburgh Saturday after work for a 520H, Tiller & Deck, he said he wants it gone, LOL i'll help him, 600 Neg.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Im heading to Pittsburgh Saturday after work for a 520H, Tiller & Deck, he said he wants it gone, LOL i'll help him, 600 Neg.

Sounds fair enough if it runs and drives those tillers work great on previously worked plots not so much on virgin sod ,Jeff.

Big_Red_Fred

My son has a Tiller with his 414-8, he said he's missing the pullys at lower front, i found them on ebay, i think he has the belt ? Are they all the sameIMG_0233.JPG.dd77109fc3f0e3267cff34bcf0ca44ee.JPG

WVHillbilly520H

Try Lowell a vendor on here @wheelhorseman , I'm sure he can get you helped out, Jeff.