roy

Govener how to?

roy

I;m the proud owner of a Wheel Horse 418-A, motor is a Kohler 18 magnum,

The previous owner, who bought it new, told me "I;ve messed with the govener thingy but, it must be broken". I can't find anything more than a brief mention on the govener in the manual, I;m assuming its under the cover plate, that the rubber tube from the air cleaner goes in?

Motor doesn't respond when under a load, meaning when I;m cutting long, deep grass, when she starts loading up, I give more throttle & this helps

But, I must be careful I can feel her wanting to over rev, so I;m always adjusting the throttle, up & down, & up & down!!

I;m quite handy, but, I;ve never owned a "real" tractor like this baby.

Can anyone walk me through a "how to adjust your govener"? I;ve been on U-tube, etc but all I can find is small hand mower  adjustments,

Any help is really appreciated & thanks

Roger- Ontario, Canada

KC9KAS

@roy :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti::rs:If the governor adjustment doesn't improve the out of control revving, then it is possibly the cross shaft gear tab that may have broken off. The tabs are spot welded and in time can break off. My :twocents-02cents:.

• Like 1

Achto
4 hours ago, roy said:

Motor doesn't respond when under a load, meaning when I;m cutting long, deep grass, when she starts loading up, I give more throttle & this helps

But, I must be careful I can feel her wanting to over rev, so I;m always adjusting the throttle, up & down, & up & down!!

:WRS:  Can you give us a pic of your throttle/gov setup? I'm wondering if some one hooked the throttle cable directly to the carb, I've seen this done before. The linkage could also be installed wrong.

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

:WRS:

roy

Thanks for the welcome all,

I tried to print those pages/pics you posted, but, so small I just can't make em out & if I  put size up to 150%,  the printed letters get all distorted!

I will try & print those pages directly from the manual, see if this works.

I know its a governer issue, I had a guy, who seemed to know what he was doing,  adjust it, big mistake!

I will post a pic. of throttle related hook up, when home

Again, Thanks for the tips,

• Like 2